Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

6mm Sterling

I've heard good things about the 20 and 25mm EPs in this range, but not so much on the 6mm, other than it doesn't have the best eye-relief in the world. Anyone have any experience with it? I'm wanting to use it for planetary work in the f5 8" skywatcher explorer

Hi, I think these are plossls, so yes, a 6mm will have tight eye relief & this bothers some people more than others. It certainly bothers me so I would prefer to barlow a

12 or 12.5mm to get the same mag. but with usable eye relief.

But if you don't already have a barlow, by the time you shell out for a good one ( cheap barlows are usually iffy ) you perhaps could simply get a 6mm with better E.R.

Also, your F5 scope will be quite hard on eyepieces (fuzzy edges with less expensive ones) a good barlow can actually improve edge performance, so another factor to consider.

Hope this helps ! Ed.

Hi, I think these are plossls, so yes, a 6mm will have tight eye relief & this bothers some people more than others. It certainly bothers me so I would prefer to barlow a

12 or 12.5mm to get the same mag. but with usable eye relief.

But if you don't already have a barlow, by the time you shell out for a good one ( cheap barlows are usually iffy ) you perhaps could simply get a 6mm with better E.R.

Also, your F5 scope will be quite hard on eyepieces (fuzzy edges with less expensive ones) a good barlow can actually improve edge performance, so another factor to consider.

Hope this helps ! Ed.

thanks for the advice. I notice you list a skywatcher 200 with a homemade mount, could you give me any tips? i'm about to do the same thing!

Hi, Post #4, I was thinking about a post on SGL DIY section about my homemade mount, so will do that when I have time, which I never seem to have enough of !!

But for starters, it's a fairly standard design, but I used 12mm plywood with stiffeners, for lightness with strength. For the azimuth bearing, I used 3 homemade

roller bearings with steel pins, 6mm dia, that sit in teflon cutouts. There is absolutely

no "stiction" a problem that I had with previous DIY mounts.

For the altitude bearings, I made new 200mm dia plywood ones, with edging cut from

plastic pipe, & bolted directly to the original plastic side bearings, & did away with the "tensioner" handles. If yours is the F5 version, then I assume it will have tube rings & dovetail ? You could remove them & fit the side bearings to a short box

around the tube, in conventional Dob fashion.

I do realise this is rather off topic for an eyepiece thread !! But thought I would answer it here, where you would find it more easily.

Best regards, make lots of sawdust !! Ed.

Hi, I have a 6mm sterling plossl but would strongly recommend SAs 6mm long eye relief at around £40 presentally. They have better colour correction, definition and good FOV and of course good eye relief, a bargin and IMHO is better than my TMB planetary.

Hi, Post #4, I was thinking about a post on SGL DIY section about my homemade mount, so will do that when I have time, which I never seem to have enough of !!

But for starters, it's a fairly standard design, but I used 12mm plywood with stiffeners, for lightness with strength. For the azimuth bearing, I used 3 homemade

roller bearings with steel pins, 6mm dia, that sit in teflon cutouts. There is absolutely

no "stiction" a problem that I had with previous DIY mounts.

For the altitude bearings, I made new 200mm dia plywood ones, with edging cut from

plastic pipe, & bolted directly to the original plastic side bearings, & did away with the "tensioner" handles. If yours is the F5 version, then I assume it will have tube rings & dovetail ? You could remove them & fit the side bearings to a short box

around the tube, in conventional Dob fashion.

I do realise this is rather off topic for an eyepiece thread !! But thought I would answer it here, where you would find it more easily.

Best regards, make lots of sawdust !! Ed.

Thanks for the advice, it arrived today, rings/dovetail included, and i've already made plenty of sawdust! My dad is an engineer and has a few odds and ends lying around in the garage, so i may be able to fit additional gadgets... we shall see...

Cheers!

Hi, I have a 6mm sterling plossl but would strongly recommend SAs 6mm long eye relief at around £40 presentally. They have better colour correction, definition and good FOV and of course good eye relief, a bargin and IMHO is better than my TMB planetary.

thanks for the advice, what's the FOV on them?

I think you'll find they're 55 degrees.

That's if I'm correct in assuming that these are the same as:

• William Optics SPLs, and
  • Zhumell Z Series Planetaries

- in other words, they're (in my opinion) Long Eye Relief Eyepieces from Long Perng of Taiwan.

Does any retailer sell them direct in the UK?

I saw them on the SmartAstronomy ebay shop, which i think is international.

Hi, These are US imports from Smart Astronomy. The performance is equal to a TV plossl (trust me I'm not playing this up). They are great EP's. I'm only selling mine to cover costs on a 20mm 5000 swa EP.

Great ep's..

Okay, I've just had a lovely and polite email from Mr. Steven Huang of the Long Perng optical manufacturing company of Taiwan, informing me that - in Europe - we can get their Planetary Eyepieces (aka (IMO) Zhummel Zs / SA Solar System ) from two German importers of astronomy products:

79€ from either - take your preferred pick of styling! :D

Currently, neither of the two UK importers of Long Perng products are importing the Long Eye Relief Planetaries.

As I may have said before, I think these are effectively the same eyepiece as William Optics Planetaries (someone correct me if I'm wrong?), so if you want a 3mm, 6mm, or 12mm one, you may as well order a WO unit from Steve @ FLO, or any other WO dealer for a faster result - unless you prefer the native-style of the Long Perng rubber eyecup.

I think these are effectively the same eyepiece as William Optics Planetaries (someone correct me if I'm wrong?), so if you want a 3mm, 6mm, or 12mm one, you may as well order a WO unit from Steve @ FLO

I can now confirm that the William Optics SPL units from FLO are definitely the same as Zhummel Z-Series Planetary EPs / SA Solar System EPs.

Archived