Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lidl refractor for £50

cootuk

My local Lidl was putting up this weeks specials...refractor for £50. Don't know the specs as they were still round the back - seems like some of the specials aren't put out due to people opening the boxes, so you have to ask for them.

If i had a 16" Lightbridge neither would i :)

:rolleyes:

Not because of that. It's just I've tried a few items from Lidls such as it's binoculars and have never been happy with any of them.

Not because of that. It's just I've tried a few items from Lidls such as it's binoculars and have never been happy with any of them.

The binos were something of a lottery. Had my original Meade pair since 2004 but two Bresser pairs i bought in 2008 have found their way to the bin. That said, i bought them as gifts, they were working perfectly and i'm guessing they got some rough treatment, then failed.

The Skylux 70mm has been the longest serving scope i've owned to date. My sole solar scope from 2003-2010. Just agreed to give it away with a solar filter. As a white light solar scope it works well.

Last time I saw a refractor in Lidl's it was on a really flimsy alt-az mount, even though it said equatorial mount on the box.

Pity because the eq mount they used a few years ago was very like the Eq-3. I bought one second hand and use it for my PST.

Bill

I have one that i scrounged of my mate a few weeks back, i had the intention of using it as a Guide scope but the amount of light it lets through is laughable, its a Skylux 70mm refractor and to be honest, i was going to give it to the first kid i seen but i would hate to put someone so impressionable off astronomy for life with this piece of junk.

Russ, id assume you didnt need a solar filter with your skylux 70mm? (joke for anyone thinking of looking at the sun without a solar filter!) lol

I have one that i scrounged of my mate a few weeks back, i had the intention of using it as a Guide scope but the amount of light it lets through is laughable, its a Skylux 70mm refractor and to be honest, i was going to give it to the first kid i seen but i would hate to put someone so impressionable off astronomy for life with this piece of junk.

Russ, id assume you didnt need a solar filter with your skylux 70mm? (joke for anyone thinking of looking at the sun without a solar filter!) lol

But seriously, it's okay for a bit of solar viewing, the limited aperture is perfect.

Archived