Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which GOTO mount for a TAL 100RS?

Would an EQ5 PRO (or a CG-5 GT for that matter) be ok for the TAL?

Budget is a bit tight (to say the least), and the TAL would be the biggest and heaviest 'scope I would ever use on an EQ mount. Anything bigger, would have to be a dob.

I was going to save up for a dob next, but it might make more sense to get a goto next, as it would help me learn my way around the sky with my ST120 sat on it, while I save up then for the TAL (heck can fit dads 130p onto it as well).

There's the NEQ3 as well, but it seems to be not much cheaper than the EQ5 PRO, and I've not heard any mention of them?

Would the EQ3-2 (which is a good saving) be way too light?

I reckon a CG5 on the 2" steel tripod would be fine for the TAL100 - it handles my 6" F/8 achro well enough for visual use and I reckon thats a heavier, longer OTA than the TAL's.

Not so sure about the EQ3-2 though - might be a bit on the light side.

Yep, a Tal 100 should be a breeze for the EQ5/CG5. I've had an ED100 (comparable for size and weight to the Tal 100) on Rob's EQ3 and it was okay but i would just aim for the EQ5/CG5. As to whether the EQ5 or CG5 is better is open to debate. They both have their pros and cons. The CG5 has the edge for stability with the 2" steel tripod versus the 1.75" steel leg tripod on the EQ5. But the EQ5 has vastly superior motors.

I have a TAL 100RS on an HEQ5 and its wonderful. The mount is so much under its acapcity the scope is as stable as can be - its worth an extra inch of aperture I reckon.

An EQ5 should be ok as well but as already mentioned I think an EQ3-2 might struggle - its not the weight its the length as well creating a big moment of force on the mount.

What sort of money are you budgeting for this?

If you can afford a EQ5... go for it... but remeber for the EQ5 new goto, you could finde a HEQ5 second hand... and as astrobaby said there brilliant...

Remember you really only want to by one mount so buy the best you can afford...

As for the motor drives... I have heard the CG5 and it is really noisy... never used one but that put me off... i have a heq 5 and the motors are brilliant on this :rolleyes:

HTH

Well I like EQ3 pricing, but definitely recognise the beauty that a HEQ5 is.

I doubt in practice I could get a secondhand mount really, as living in West Wales, it would be a bit of a nightmare (and rather expensive) to go and collect one.

Well, a HEQ5 is 'ballpark' without Synscan or GOTO. I suppose I could add that later, which would mean I'd have a really good mount to be going on with anyway.

Thanks for the help and insights all, decisions, decisions (well, deciding to start saving is the first step, and it's nice to have the goal to go for) :rolleyes:.

PS. Can you drive a standard HEQ5 via software on a Netbook by any chance, without going for the GOTO add on kit? Or do you need the interfaces on that particular handset?

PPS. Seems there used to be an issue with HEQ5 gearboxes compared to Synscan and PRO versions? Don't know if that's been resolved, but it may mean the EQ5 PRO is a better option than the basic HEQ5? AAaaaargh! lol!

Archived