NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

skywatcher powertank dilemma

hi

I am going to buy the Skymax 127 this month and on a relatively limited budget. I was wondering if the powertank was completely necessary upon purchase or if I could go on batteries for the rest of the month until I can get the powertank next month? Last thing I want to do is get the telescope home and regret not buying the powertank straight away but like I say it'd only be a month I'd be going without it and therefore only a month where I am reliant on batteries.

Any comments/views very welcome :D

Hi Danos,

Depends on how big a power tank you want and how much you want to pay. Also how much use is it going to get during the shortest nights :D

If you look around batteries like this Platinum - Platinum 12V 20Ah VRLA AGM Deep Cycle Battery, Price £23.41, UK are available. Should last a lifetime.

A charger to suit could be CTEK - CTEK XS 800 Battery Charger 12V, Price £28.80, UK

Dave.

Please note I am not promoting this site but they have all the info you may need.

I bought an adaptor for mine from maplins. It was £18 and means I can use it in the garden with an extention lead.

I'll probably buy a powertank eventually but, like you, I have to watch the pennies :D

I was wondering if the powertank was completely necessary upon purchase?

Do you mean 127 SupaTrak or the GoTo version?

I don't know about the GoTo version, but the SupaTrak mount lasts for ages on a set of Duracells. We've had our 130P SupaTrak for a year now and still only use regular AA batteries. We'll probably never use a PowerTank on that scope - it's not worth the faff.

An HEQ5 mount on the other hand... :D

I've got a powertank (celestron) and the maplins starter battery pack. So far neither has let me down. The powertank is very expensive for what it is - the skywatcher one is a little cheaper. The Maplins model is half the price (or less if on offer) and just as effective. The powertanks are way overpriced cos you're paying for a name and I wouldn't buy one again when the Maplins one does the job way cheaper :D

Archived