NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finder Scopes

An Easy Finder II came with my Orion (USA) SkyQuest XT8 Dob. Strangely, it hits the azimuth stop before I can align it. The altitude stop is also close to bottoming out. I called Orion and was told to shim the dovetail base, which I had done with toothpicks before I called. Seems like a rather chintzy piece of equipment. Can anyone recommend anything better? Orion has several options, including two with right angle view, which would be much easier to use. I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with any of them.

Regards

I have two of the Orion 9x50 RACI's - they give a very crisp clear view, plenty wide enough for finding, easy to focus, and reasonably priced too. Plus they fit straight onto a standard SW mounitng shoe. I'm very happy with mine, as you say much easier to use and prevent a lot of backache. :D

Do the right angle versions give a correct image or one inverted like a star diagonal view? I've often wondered and never asked.

I have bought two 'as new' skywatcher finders on brackets from the For Sale section here and think they are fine. They are straight through, though. Right Angle with correct view would be a treat, certainly.

Olly

I use a RA optical finder along with either a Rigel Quikfinder or Telrad depending on the scope. I find that's the easiest way for me. Find the area with the Quikfinder or Telrad and then zero in with the RA finder.

John

Archived