Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Good Scope for DSO

Steve - it's all about sky darkness. If you want to have the best views of DSOs then think about the darkest place you can reasonably get to, then think about the sort of instrument you'd want to take there.

Ideally you want an 18" dob and a back garden with limiting mag 6.5+

Unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world. And you don't want to lug around a newtonian anyway.

Given a choice between 10x50 binos at a mag-6 site or 18" at a mag-4 site I'd choose the former, no question. With the binos at the dark site you'll see M51 with no difficulty. With the 18" at the light-polluted site you might struggle to find it.

You say you've got a grab-and-go planet scope, so it sounds like you're already sorted. Otherwise just up the aperture to the largest you find convenient.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the replies, really helped the dob and reflectors are not on the list just not a big fan of them (sorry dob users!) i like the look of the compact refractors 4.75" and 6" ones.

This scope is going to be grab and go so i know it wont be a light bucket but is going to be used to compliment the scope ive already got.

So im toying with idea of the 6" short tube refractor, just got to work out a nice lightweight stable mount for it :D

I can only say that my main interest are DSOs and my only regret so far is that 8" is not enough aperture for all of those I want to observe.

If I ware in the same position, knowing what I know now, I would go for a SW flextube, preferably the 12" one.

BTW, why the dislike for dobs?

If you're worried about the manual tracking I can tell you it's pretty easy at low mags (<150x) and above that it only takes a few sessions to get used to.

Well i like sprouts. I also like spinach.

And just to keep on thread...........

I love Dobs.

My 3.5" refractor is pretty good with planets (Martian ice caps,rings of Saturn and Jupiters cloud belts) all very visible with the little scope.

If you're worried about the manual tracking I can tell you it's pretty easy at low mags (<150x) and above that it only takes a few sessions to get used to.

Indeed. After only a few sessions the tracking becomes second nature.

I can only say that my main interest are DSOs and my only regret so far is that 8" is not enough aperture for all of those I want to observe.

If I ware in the same position, knowing what I know now, I would go for a SW flextube, preferably the 12" one.

Just a few things really had an 6" dob as my first scope many years go and didnt like it at all. Tracking, finding objects, collimation, physical size etc. So it sat in the loft for years and my intrest in astronomy was dampened.

Then i got a SCT and wow! it was 1000x better. ok it might have been the one i had would only buy one as a last choice.

So it will be two small grap and go for day to day quick looks and im saving for a 10" SCT for holiday camping / astro parties.

Archived