SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

4th June -AR1076 and bright faculae

Merlin66

The large (?) sunspot group from yesterday AR 1076 still looks as impressive as before. There's also a bright faculae visible close to the edge of the suns disk to the west of the sunspot group. Easily visible in the C102, Baader White light filter + Continuum.

Great opportunity to paractise those imaging skills!

George,

Your first sunspot!

If you continue to use the compact camera consider getting a afocal adaptor. These clamp around the focuser and hold the camera central and square to the eyepiece. It will improved you capability no end.

Ken

Thanks - I agree that that would be a good idea, and may well do in the future. At the moment, I think focusing is the main problem for my camera, especially out in the sunlight where I can barely see my small screen - I know it is recommended that you set the camera focus to infinity and use the scope - something I am yet to master. I guess a little practice will help. The sunspot looked amazing through the scope - I could see the penumbra, as well as the detailed outline and shape of the larger spot, and 5 or 6 smaller ones close by - I think there was some surface granulation too!

I'm glad that I am able to use something a bit more sophisticated for solar viewing now that I have a filter and don't have to use projection all the time:

SANY0787.jpg

Hopefully there will be plenty more sunspots to practise on;)

You'll definately find the Solar filter will give you much better view than your projection method. ( Neat way of doing it though!! - just watch you don't cook the eyepiece!)

Ken

Thanks, i started making sunsketches on 9 Jan 2000 and filled an entire sketch book with the activity from solar cycle 23. I've started a new book for cycle 24 but there's only a few sketches in there so far... here's hoping for lots more spots. :D

Archived