Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

An interesting double that I was inspired to view by Jove :D

The split was fairly easy last night (2 June 2010) with my 12" at x124 magnification. Separation is 4.8". The primary component had a rusty orangy colour to it. I seem to remember reading that it is a red giant. The secondary component had a bit of yellowness to it, tinged with hints of green that seemed to catch my eye at times.

The green is an optical illusion...

It's a double that is well worth tracking down IMO

AlphaHerculis.png

I was observing binaries tonight and Alpha Herc was one of them - I agree it's a very nice double, even with my 4" Vixen ED refractor. I've also been trying Zeta Herc with my 6" refractor lately and that is an incredibly challenging split at that aperture - I'd be intererested what your 12" makes of it.

Nice to have some objects that are worthwhile even with the long twighlight evenings :D

Great drawing as well :D

Thanks for highlighting this one. I have also been out observing doubles and alpha Herculis was on the large list I have but hadn't yet got to. After reading this I went back out again and had an enjoyable look. I agree about the colours in particular the illlusion of green.

I found that the double double was easy to split but Sig Cas not so clearly even though there is slightly greater separation. I suspect it was due to their relative altitudes.

Dave

Archived