SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

HOLIDAY GLOBULAR

mdstuart

A fine evening and a clear view to the South! I could not resist. Out with the 15 by 70mm binos.

Scorpius was very obvious above the sea line looking out from par in cornwall. I thought being so far south might be helping. Antares was a vivid orange colour. Just to the right I found the globular of the night M4. Certainly large and bright. I tried but could pull this one from the mirk at home.

I followed stars down to a declanation of -34deg which was fun.

Sagittarius next. I found the brightest smudge. This large patch turns out to be M16. I was surprised how much nebula was visible. Almost like M42 in the binos. M17 and. M18 were also obvious as nebula.

Finally down to M25 a lovely cluster and a look at that star cloud M24.

A lovely time!

Mark

Looks like I was wrong on M16. Apparantly a scope is needed for the nebula. So it muxt just have been the stars that gave an impression of nebulousity. Or as messier would say...nebulousity without stars!

Mark

mmm Im looking forward to some dark nights in Skiathos. Where I stay its great, late night with my wife still sleeping... the view from the balcony is usually great. Just me, the stars, and the mossies...

Archived