Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Collimation cap versus Cheshire eyepiece

I Have a cap do I need a Cheshire eyepiece or do they do the same thing?

Any advantage to spend out 25 quid over the free cap I got with my scope complete with doughnut stuck on?

If there is which eyepiece to buy, the cheapest?

Is your scope f/8 or slower? If so the "cap" will be sufficient. Faster scopes get increasingly less tolerant of collimation errors (fourth power), a Cheshire eyepiece - or an accurately collimated laser collimation tool - is more sensitive.

Its a 114 f8 reflector, so I guess a cap is sufficient until I upgrade :D just struggling with it atm as I am getting a ghost image on planets and cannot get a decent collimation. I did twiddle with the secondary, I reckon I need to twiddle a bit more with it.

But its good to know as the plan is a jump to a 10" Dob but that could change any second. :D

With a shorter focal length, F5 for example, it's a good idea to have both. The cap is useful when adjusting the secondary as you need to see the primary mounting clips and the cheshire doesn't give a wide enough field of view, the cap, on the other hand, doesn't have the cheshire's crosshair to enable accurate adjustment of the primary.

Yep, that hotech looks very good, but the price doesn't, if you had the 1.25 and then upgraded to a scope with a 2" focuser you would have to buy the adapter for another 30 quid otherwise I would think you will get slop using the thumbscrew and adapter for the scope.

So the cap should do me for adjusting the secondary, I can't quite see how the hotech is used to adjust the secondary, bearing in mind I have no doughnut sticker on my primary. Still if I bought the Hotech it would more than double the value of my scope :D

I think I might just slacken everything off on the secondary and go for broke as it were, I have read Astrobaby's collimation page but I cannot do some of the adjustments as the secondary is a single fixed arm.

Archived