Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Connecting a Canon 550D to a Celestron 130 SLT

Hi,

New to SGL, and just posted my query in the Welcome Forum. Oops.

Wasn't sure if I'd seen the answer to this query, but wondered if anyone could give me some advice. I'm looking to connect my camera to my telescope and wasn't sure if it was possible, and if it was what (specifically) I'd need. I've read about T-Adapters and T-Rings, but wasn't sure if there was something specific that I'd need

Thanks in advance

Dave

You will need a T-ring which will be specific for your camera as it replaces the lens and you will need a T adapter which will allow the T-ring (once coupled with your camera) to be attached to your scope.

As for the comments above, I wouldnt know about inward travel (new to AP myself) but agree with the mount and FL comments. This should, however not put you off giving it a try!

Thanks both,

I'll give the T-Ring and T-Adapter a try and see how I get on. I'm sure I'll find appropriate "Canon" ready kit.

I have a Moonfish 2" x 2 Barlow Lens. Will connecting that between camera and scope address the insufficient inward travel on the focuser?

Thanks again

Dave

If the focuser will take 2" then thats the way to go 1.25" fitting will cause vignetting with a DSLR ...

An EOS T-Adaptor with a T thred 2" Push fit would allow you to rotate the camera for "framing"...

Have a chat with Steve or James at FLO they shoudl be able to tell you whats what..

• 7 months later...

Providing the adapter size is compatible with the scope i.e. 2" then it will fit. What you will have to check it whether focus can be achieved, that I am not able to help with unfortunately as I dont know.

• 11 months later...

Guys,

I know this is late but I just got a T-ring for my wife's Canon T3 (1100D?) to use on my 130SLT. I also recieved a 1 1/4 T-adapter. When I went to install it I looked again at the focuser assembly.

The 130SLT comes with a 2" focuser with a 1 1/4" adapter for use with the smaller (and less expensive) eyepieces. I suspect the scope is more limited by the aperture when using the larger eyepieces but I haven't tried one to check.

The reducing adapter that comes with the scope is actually two pieces which are connected with T-threads! I simply unscrewed the 1 1/4" piece from the 2" piece and my new T-ring attached very securely. I estimate this took another 1/2"-1" from the focus length which was mentioned as a possible limitation in an earlier post for achieving focus. It also appears to give me a wider FOV but I haven't tested it out yet (I've had pneumonia since I got the adapter). It seems someone at Celestron was thinking.

The only issue I can foresee with this configuration is the inability to use filters as I haven't figured out how to connect them between the camera and the focuser. I guess that is as good a reason to have the T-adapter for.

• 3 years later...

I know the thread is old, but, these things rarely go away

Canon 700D

Canon T2 adapter,

bright star manual filter wheel (have a basic 

Celestron 8-24mm Zoom eyepiece

SLT 130

This bring the SLT focuser out about 5-6mm from the body

Hope that helps. 

Archived