Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ5 Motors and power supply

I will shortly be upgrading my EQ5 to RA motor drive for visual use. I believe the motors supplied are 6v, (not the more common 12v).

So a couple of questions:

Are these motors 6v?

And:

Has anyone changed the dry batteries suggestd for a rechargeable lead acid type? and if so are there any tips / pitfalls to avoid?

Thank you

Yes these EQ5 motors a definately 6V.

I soldered a small voltage regulator into the wiring which fitted inside the normal 12V cigar plug; this allowed the use of the standard gel cell batteries I use. (Maplin have a similar regulator 12V - 6V for car systems)

Just had to make sure the plug was well marked as being 6V and not 12V!!:D

Ken

I use these motors on my CG5 mount. They are 6V. I use the standard battery pack which takes 4 x LR20's. The unit had 4 Duracell Plus batteries in there when I bought it, used, around 6 months ago - they are still going strong !.

I was going to investigate some form of power supply but the batteries have lasted much better than I expected so I don't think I'll bother now.

Archived