NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What camera

I am actually in a similar position to you Scotty in that I am about to start digital imaging - up til now I have been a regular eye-to-eyepiece astronomer. I don't know about you but I shall start with a regular DSLR then look into a CCD imager later.

There are some good astroimagers here on SGL so I am confident that we will have no trouble finding the information that we need 8)

You either need a webcam, or a modified webcam or a digital SLR or a mobile 'phone with a camera facility. Or a film SLR, or a digital point and shoot camera or a "normal" film camera.

You can get images with almost any type of camera, it's just that some are easier than others. If you have a target in mind then that will cut down on the choices somewhat.

Lunar imaging, all of the above, planets are best done with a standard webcam with high light sensitivity and DSOs (deep sky objects) are best with a modified webcam or DSLR.

If you don't want to spend a load of dosh at this moment, you should go the webcam route and wait for a planet to turn up. Saturn will be popping by between now and christmas, but it depends on what time you are prepared to get out of bed / stay up until as to when it will be available to you.

If you want results in the next few weeks then get a DSLR (any kind, though Canon are favoured for their more sensitive sensor) and a T adapter so that you can snap the faint fuzzies up there.

Once you have an idea what you want to get a picture of it narrows down the options, so let us know what you want to shoot and we'll tell you how to spend your cash.

Captain Chaos

Digital imaging is my preference to film, is it possible to buy a cheap (P II-III) laptop and a little USB imaging camera to do this job. That would be perfect for me, although, then there is the cost.

Im already getting abit (ALOT :wink:) ahead of myself here, however, I know where Im aiming.

Scotty

Hi Scotty , . TBH if you have only the S.L.R. i would go for a modded web cam , these are very easy to use and do give some wonderful results, they are by far the cheapest way of getting into DSOs and imaging Planets ,if its Planets and moon images , you can start off very cheap with the Toucam pro web cam , this does give you a good start into the field of imaging , you can learn processing skills then before moving on to the Harder stuff, For modded web cams there are a few on the market, i can only give views on one , thats the Atik 2hs, this is to be phased out soon and replaced by a newer version , but there should be some second hand ones around , other than that i think a few other members here have another make of modded web cam

Rog

You either need a webcam, or a modified webcam or a digital SLR or a mobile 'phone with a camera facility. Or a film SLR, or a digital point and shoot camera or a "normal" film camera.

You can get images with almost any type of camera, it's just that some are easier than others. If you have a target in mind then that will cut down on the choices somewhat.

Lunar imaging, all of the above, planets are best done with a standard webcam with high light sensitivity and DSOs (deep sky objects) are best with a modified webcam or DSLR.

If you don't want to spend a load of dosh at this moment, you should go the webcam route and wait for a planet to turn up. Saturn will be popping by between now and christmas, but it depends on what time you are prepared to get out of bed / stay up until as to when it will be available to you.

If you want results in the next few weeks then get a DSLR (any kind, though Canon are favoured for their more sensitive sensor) and a T adapter so that you can snap the faint fuzzies up there.

Once you have an idea what you want to get a picture of it narrows down the options, so let us know what you want to shoot and we'll tell you how to spend your cash.

Captain Chaos

Sumhow in my tiredness, I missed what you posted here hence the dum question just after :wink:

This is very informative for me and gives me the info I needed right on the button. Thanks

Scotty

Yes. I believe Arthur was selling a laptop recently, don't know the details, but any laptop with usb will let you use a webcam.

Captain Chaos

Yup. Also got a modded TouCam (still colour) with adapter I can throw in as well possibly. I'll go add it to the buy-sell bit

Arthur

Archived