Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cg-5 mount help

Hi folks,

ive just upgraded to a Celestron CG5 non-goto mount my first EQ mount and...im confused..i miss my goto :D lol i have been reading as much as i can and i thunk i have most of it down but im unsure on one thing. Underneath the right acention setttling circle is another setting circle with a 12hr dial that can move independantly from the mount..is ths for RA Co-ordinates tgat come in 12hr's occasionaly?

Also im a bit worried about my moun lt as when i turn the slow motion RA control, so the counter weight is heading back to the ground the mount shudders quite alot this doesnt happen when using the cotrol so the weight is being lifted from the ground to say a horozontal possition..if that makes sense. Should i be worried?? It seems smooth as long as i dont use the cotrol too fast.

Any help is much apprecaited, thanks

Michael

I'm not sure about the setting circles but my CG-5 is silky smooth using the slow motion controls in all directions. As nicnac says, follow the instructions in the manual for balancing the scope. I'm not sure what scope you have but if it's for the ED80 in your sig you'll probably need the counterweight pushed right up against the top of the counterweight bar.

I have the same mount as you but, as the others have said, it's very smooth when balanced properly. If you take the counterweight off the shaft when you are playing without a scope on board it should settle down.

I would not try and use the CG5 setting circles to find anything - like most EQ mounts they are too small and not precisely enough engraved - get a good star atlas and join the rest of us star-hoppers !.

It's a good mount though, once you have got the hang of using the cluches and the axis locks - mine was loaded with a 6" F/8 refractor at the SGL5 star party and tracked very well despite getting dewed up twice and frozen once !.

I trust yours has the 2" steel tube tripod - very stable and solid !.

Hi chaps,

Thanks for that advice, i havnt had a chance to mount the scope on it so hopfully ill get that on and balance it properly soon and like you say that should sort out the shudder.

As for the setting circles i think i just wanted to learn how to use them more than actualy using them so often as i have had no problems star hoping before, just wanted to know my mount for my self really.

Thanks for that it has certainly put my mind at rest.

Michael

Hi I have the same mount too. and had the same issue until i got the balance right. Word of warning tho - When setting the scope onto it ensure that the two large screws that set your degrees of latitude aren't loos, or over tightened. I managed to bend one of these screws on my first mount cuz i was too hasty when setting up. :D

I am interested to know what the second circle of numbers under the RA scale is. I haven't worked it out yet either.

I find the settings circles are invaluable and don't have any problems finding things using them at all. You just have to be very careful when aligning them, especially declination and be prepared for the possibility that dec might be out by a tiny amount. A little bit of scanning usually lets me find everything.

I find it also helps to find a known star near the object you wish to view and set the setting circles on that star first. Since it is near your target the circles won't go out by much if the stand isn't set up perfectly to North etc.

Archived