Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TAL 125R Refractor

moondog

I gave a first light review of the TAL a short while ago. At that time I didn’t post any pics. So here’s a few pics. and a brief run down on my thoughts so far of the build and spec. of the scope.

I will post a more detailed report of the optical performance when we get the odd planet back in the sky and the moon’s better placed!. On DSO’s so far, I’m happy with the scopes performance. The pics. were taken after using the scope for 2 months.

SPECIFICATION

TAL 125R : Telescope No. 658

125mm ( 5 ins ) object lens, 2 element achromat

1125mm focal length ( F9 )

6x30 finder

2 ins focuser

1 ¼ ins diagonal

25 mm and 6.3mm TAL Super Plossls

Dewshield and lens cap with reducer

Cradle rings

Moon filter, T thread screw adaptor, screw in EP reticule

Fitted birch ply carrying case

Weight (OTA only) – 5kg

EXTERNAL APPEARANCE

The tube is not the usual straight ‘rainwater pipe’ but has a flared, tapered piece as it approaches the object lens. The dewshield is a long plastic affair with the inside nicely matted. I think that plastic instead of metal greatly helps in combating dew.The scope is the usual TAL gloss white enamelled finish for the tube, with ‘eggshell’ black enamelled finish to most of the rest of the fittings. Robustly made would cover it!

OTA

The 5 ins object lens is held in a cell that can be collimated, unlike the TAL 100.

Two elements, all surfaces look to be coated a deep purple. The scope was in collimation as supplied. Looking down the tube from the object lens end, the inside of the tube is a good mat black with three definite knife edge baffles. These increase in size as the light cone decreases.

FOCUSSER

The 2 ins focusser has a huge range of travel, measured at about 5 ½ ins (135mm).

Using most attachments, like barlows, cameras etc. and being able to come to focus is now easy. The focusser can be adjusted for tension and can hold heavy 2 ins diagonals and EP’s easily even when pointing at the zenith. The focuser also has a locking screw.

For use with a DSLR the supplied screw adaptor is great. Just remove the diagonal, leave the rotatable holder in place screw on the adaptor and screw the T mount to it. No nosepiece required and I have easy, safe rotation, even with a heavy DSLR in place.

MD

post-12755-133877322886_thumb.jpg

post-12755-133877322915_thumb.jpg

post-12755-133877322963_thumb.jpg

post-12755-133877323013_thumb.jpg

Archived