Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First attempt at moon with new DFK31AU03

molecub

Telescope is my old (bought 1989) 8.5" Astro Systems f/5 Newtonian. I just used the DFK31 on its own without a barlow. I used Registax 5.1 to process the AVI and then Photoshop CS3 on the Registax jpeg.

Time was 19:45, so was still bright daylight with drifting bands of cloud. I had intended to take 2400 frames but only managed 452 frames before the cloud got in the way.

Things didn't go too well - as I've said, cloud was a problem and it was difficult to focus using the simple rack and pinion focuser (definitely a good reason to upgrade). Anyway here's the result:

molecub-albums-moon-pics-picture5137-19th-may-2010-19-45-first-go-new-dfk-31au03-moon-high-bright-blue-sky-narrow-bands-drifting-cloud.jpg

The AVI file was VERY low in contrast but I'm guessing/hoping that it was because it was still bright daylight? Hmmm....I've just noticed that I should have cropped the top bit off the image (Registax artifacting).

Bruc:)

Great result for a first try!

The AVI file was VERY low in contrast but I'm guessing/hoping that it was because it was still bright daylight?

Very likely. A deep red filter helps considerably.

Thanks Brian.

At the moment I'm not using any filters at all (in fact I haven't got any - yet! :)). Should I use a dark red filter just when photographing the moon during daylight hours? Would I benefit from using a different coloured filter photographing the moon when it's dark?

Thanks Karlo, I'll look into the SW autofocuser.

All suggestions on how I can improve results with the DKF31 really appreciated.

Bruce :D

Should I use a dark red filter just when photographing the moon during daylight hours? Would I benefit from using a different coloured filter photographing the moon when it's dark?

When the seeing is wobbly you may find that a dark red filter makes it less so. When the seeing is steady you'll probably do better without a filter.

Thanks astroman.

I also have the mono DMK21 and tried it for the first time last night (Saturday). I bought the two cameras for a really good price and may or may not decide to keep them both (the DFK31 is colour of course). The most obvious operational difference (accepting colour and image size) is the far faster frame rate of the DMK21.

As it turned out I spent most of the evening playing with IC Capture's shutter, gamma and gain controls in an only partially successful attempt to reduce image contrast and obtain a balanced exposure. The brightness control didn't seem to do much - any advice???

Bruce:)

The brightness control didn't seem to do much - any advice???

The brightness control is non functional on my copy.

Exposure, gain & gamma are all you need. Leave gamma at default (100) until you get some experience. Set the exposure to 1/30 sec & vary the exposure using gain ... if the seeing is poor you may need faster exposure to "freeze" the seeing but too much gain introduces noise ... for lunar work 400-500 should be enough.

Archived