NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Info Needed

ZOG

Hi again, as a total noob knowing nothing about EQ mounts and the like I've decided to go with a Dobson as my first scope. I've found a supplier in Germany who does the Sky watcher 8" Dob at a really good price. Including postage the whole package will be around £190.

http://www.astroshop.de/en/telescopes/skywatcher/dobson/dobson-8-zoll-%2B-moonfilter%21

Has anyone had dealings with this particular supplier ? Also the scope comes with a Super-Plössl 25mm and Super-Plössl 10mm eyepieces and a moon filter. Now I know there are a vast range of eyepieces out there, can someone reccomend which other EP's I would need for general observation ? is a Barlow lens necessary ? I dont want to be overloaded with eyepieces that will not be used often.

Sorry for all the questions but like I say I am a complete noob and, having read the forums I've seen that advice is always readily available and gladly offered. Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks. :wink:

Hi Zog,

Welcome to SGL mate. IMHO you really need to get a 32mm or a 40mm for that scope as a widefield or finder eyepiece. A Barlow isn't necessary but they are very handy, they effectively double your eyepieces making a 32mm into a 16mm or a 10mm into a 5mm etc.

One way to go would be to get a Barlow and the 32mm (16mm), the 25mm (12mm) comes with the scope and the 10mm (5mm).

You def. need to get either a 32mm or a 40mm though for the field of view to help you locate objects with the Dob.

regards

Gaz

Archived