NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn in my 16" on 17 May 2010

DarkerSky

Got a good view of Saturn on the 17th in my 16". Plugged in my new 9.7mm EP to take magnification up to x377 with my 2X telextender.

These are the views I got:

SaturnWF17May.png

Identified 4 moons. The furthest one out is Rhea. Titan is the brightest and appears above the ring plane. Beneath it were two fainter moons of Tethys and Dione.

Then onto the planet itself:

Saturn17May.png

The NEB was again broad and featureless, but did seem to be more distinct from the fainter shading across the polar region. The SEB was again dark and thin. SPR shading seemed lighter than in the north.

The feature I am unsure about was what appeared to be a lighter area on the north preceeding edge of the disc in the NPR. I have marked this as a dotted area on the sketch, but it was on the verge of visibility. Not sure if I imagined it!

I just looked at the pics i really the detail i heard that jupiter is making its return to the night sky in a couple of months so if you

do the king of the solar system hope you post it so i can have a look .

also on last episode of the sky at night they were talking about the white spots on saturn and said they are enormous storms

kris h :D

I just looked at the pics i really the detail i heard that jupiter is making its return to the night sky in a couple of months so if you

do the king of the solar system hope you post it so i can have a look .

also on last episode of the sky at night they were talking about the white spots on saturn and said they are enormous storms

kris h :D

Yes, Im really looking forward to getting Jupiter in my sights :)

Archived