NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar Activity 19 May

brianb

Only a short sunny interval this afternoon, with poor transparency (thin high cloud & coastal fog spreading in) and very wobbly seeing. Still better than the forecast greyout!

The solar disk remains quiet. I did not observe in white light but the CaK disk shows fairly clearly that there would have not been much to see.

Sun-100519-1342-CaK.jpg

1342 UT. Coronado PST CaK, prime focus, DMK41

In hydrogen alpha the only significant feature is the prominent filament in the north east, which has elongated & split into two pieces:

Sun-100519-1401-Ha-filaNE-X2.jpg

1401 UT. Solarscope 60, x2 barlow, DMK41

A full disk shot show just how big this feature is!

Sun-100519-1349-Ha.jpg

1349 UT. Solarscope 60, 0.5x focal reducer, DMK41

This composite shot also shows the distribution of the numerous quiescent prominences scattered round the disk edge. I did manage to cature a couple of these in close up before the mist got too thick.

In the north west, the band of filaments which has been on the disk for a while has now reached the limb:

Sun-100519-1407-Ha-promNW-X2.jpg

1407 UT. Solarscope 60, x2 barlow, DMK21

And there is an extensive complex but faintish curtain of prominences on the north east limb:

Sun-100519-1405-Ha-promNE-X2.jpg

1405 UT. Solarscope 60, x2 barlow, DMK21

Incidentally I was unable to process these prominence images with Avistack v1.8 due to the variable transparency. Registax v5 was used.

Transparency poor & variable. Seeing bad with substantial boiling. Temperature 18C, falling as coastal fog spread in. Wind N force 1-2 (sea breeze - clouds were drifting from south west to north east).

Archived