Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

what are the best eyepeices for my telescope

I have an 8" f6 scope much like yours and found 32mm to 8mm the right sort of range, filling in the middle with 20mm and 11mm eyepieces - all TeleVue plossls in my case. Depends if you want to go for the wide/ultrawide experience. I've never felt the need for it except at high power (because it's easier for dob tracking) but that's just me.

Some good advice has already been given by acey & wakey. When I am using my 8" F6 Dob I use a 27mm, 13mm & 8mm to give 44x, 92x & 150x I find this covers 95% of my observing time. Some would say this this leaves large gaps & they may be right, but I like to keep it simple and find constantly switching eyepieces distracting. Occasionally I might nip back indoors for my 6mm to give 200x but this will only be to split a tight double star or a planet on a very rare steady night. I find my most used eyepiece is the 13mm. Hope this helps, Ed.

I use mainly the following on my 8" 1200mm FL scope:

31mm - 37x for widefield, large DSOs (most used EP in general)

15mm - 80x for small DSOs (only used when the 10mm dims the DSOs a bit too much)

10mm - 120x for smaller DSOs, planets and double stars (most used EP on smaller DSOs; my 10mm gives me as much FoV as a regular 13mm so it's useful for several situations)

5mm - 240x for planets and double stars (most used EP on planets, conditions here allow it often)

20mm wide fields is also nice sometimes to better frame some large DSOs

I use a 27mm, 13mm & 8mm to give 44x, 92x & 150x I find this covers 95% of my observing time. Some would say this this leaves large gaps & they may be right, but I like to keep it simple and find constantly switching eyepieces distracting.

I totally agree. I found with my 8" that 95% of my viewing was with just the 20mm and 8mm eyepieces - they just felt right for me. In general I find that with any of my scopes 2 EPs covers most things - it's just a case of finding the right two.

Archived