NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Slug horror!

AlexM

Just checked my explorer 130 to find a small slug has spent it's last days leaving a trail across my primary mirror! The dessicated remains of the villan fell out when I removed the backplate from the scope.

A - Has anyone else suffered from this kind of mishap?

and

B - Should I wash the mirror?!

I have just dismantled a wasps' nest from my guidescpe lens. It was at the level of a 'starter home' I am glad to say and did not house anyone intent on stinging me. Serves me right for having lost the cap...

I got a grasshopper inside an SCT once and after it died I tried to flip it out by jerking the scope upside down in the fork mount. I expected to be there for days doing this flip but incredibly it came out first time.

Olly

Back in 2003 I was staying at a certain residential astronomy centre in a warmer climate and using a skeleton tube dob. Late at night observing Mars suddenly the telescope started shaking and Mars disappeared......looking down I was horrified to see that a small kitten had climbed in and was trying to stop itself sliding off the primary mirror!

Linton

Back in 2003 I was staying at a certain residential astronomy centre in a warmer climate and using a skeleton tube dob. Late at night observing Mars suddenly the telescope started shaking and Mars disappeared......looking down I was horrified to see that a small kitten had climbed in and was trying to stop itself sliding off the primary mirror!

Linton

perhaps it thought that you were using a Schmidtt Cattigrain?

Archived