Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My new tent

Here is a pic of my new "happy" (comments on the outer/top already have been made) Gelert Oxygen 4 tent, my friend who is in the pic is 6ft, so no more crawling in and out, a nice size standup tent. Won't last in a storm but I have no intention of camping in those conditions.

post-15319-133877445713_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Like your confidence, we usually have no control over the weather.

Many years ago I set out to camp in the Cairngorms on a nice sunny day, on the top of Beinn Macdui the wind started to blow in the afternoon, we arrived at the place we planned to camp at the Corruor Bothy below the Devil's Point at 19:00, tent was up and dinner served, when at 22:30 the rain came down in stair-rods. The wind gained in speed and it continued raining through the night. There were 5 or 6 other people camping there, all their tents were blown down, even had to rescue one guy who was warped up inside his tent!!!

We had been hit by the tail end of a hurricane. I was in a Quasar Mountain tent and it was the only tent standing in the morning. It was designed for high mountain use...

We later found out that the winds that night were over 100mph. Few if any tents will survive that type of battering.

If it is windy don't over-tightened the guy lines, as it is bettered to have some flexibility in the wind. Rain is a wonderful thing when camping it can get into places you would think impossible.

Hope to meet up at a Star Party.

Cheers

Adrian

Archived