Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC2419 Intergalactic Wanderer

Phil Fargaze

Yes this is a pretty challenging globular. I love to pick it out and your drawing is just as I remember it however the smudge to me is a lot fainter in my 10 inch from here...

Try NGC 4147 in Virgo which is similiar and well placed..once that moon goes away!

Mark

Thanks mdstuart, I think NGC 4147 could well be my next globular challenge!

To be honest the shading of the globular does look a little heavy, as it was very faint in the eyepiece.

Doc, surley this object can`t hide much longer from a ruthless deep sky predator like yourself!

Talitha, it wasn`t actually difficult to locate because my dob has digital setting circles, so I usually know I`m pointed in the right direction. I hope you don`t think I cheated.

The difficulty has been to actually see it.

Talitha, I`m really sorry if I made you feel like that. Please accept my apologies. It is such an honour to have an excellent sketcher such as yourself commenting on my sketches. I know that some people enjoy the challenge of star hopping to an object and I didn`t know if you was thinking that I was star hopping to it.

Nice one Phil. I picked this out with an 8.5" during the winter. It was a very exciting catch. I remember hopping around a snow covered garden with delight at finding it. Really quite a ghostly image in the EP, and made all the more special by it being one of the remotest globs in our galaxy at 295,000 ly away.

I would imagine the darkness of Kelling brought it out a bit more from the background glow that I get around here.

No Phil, i'm the one who needs to apologize. ;) I'm not the sharpest tack in the box, and didn't realize you were referring to your setting circles when you asked if i thought you'd cheated. TBH, i don't care if someone else located the target for you... as long as you got there. :)

By way of explanation... about 4 years ago, i posted a sketch of a very faint nebula in a friend's brand new Yahoo group, and one of the members openly accused me of 'cheating'. He'd calculated that i shouldn't have been able to see the nebula with my scope, so he assumed i'd faked the sketch by drawing it from an image instead of sketching it at the eyepiece. Regretfully, that's what came to mind when i read your comment. I mistakenly sensed your casual question to carry a defensive tone, inferring that i thought the target was too faint for you to have seen. I know you well enough to have known better though, and i apologize.

Friends? :D

Btw, i saw the Wanderer (for the first and only time) early in March with the 120ST and it was actually fairly easy to see. The transparency was above average though, and the globular was only 7° from the zenith... nice clean view. :p

Archived