Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera advice

My Nikon d60 does not support Live view via LCD or PC and also does not have Mirror lock.

From what I have read these arae major stumbling blocks.

So after some mooching around i have found that a Canon 40D is going to be a good choice.

Any comments? any other models to consider?

hi,

I don't think they are major stumbling blocks. Live view just speeds up focusing and mirror lock up only really matters for short exposures, very long focal lengths or if there's a really bright star in the image.

EOS10D has mirror lock and can be picked up for £100 second hand.. cracking camera at that price...easy to mod too for DSO work...

Live view is nice, but a bahtinov mask and checking your frames on a bright star, before imaging will probably save you £300 minimum..

I shoot with a Nikon D40 which does not have live view, and most if the pics on my page were shot with it. Focusing is trial and error, but after a few test shots and a few minutes I am usually in focus. Will you be doing prime focus, or piggyback?

Archived