NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mercury from SGL5

michaelmorris

One of my observing targets for SGL5 was Mercury. I've never seen it before and I wanted to observe it, sketch it and image it. Thanks to help from lots of people I managed to do all three.

My particular thanks goes to Allan Jones who let me observe and image Mercury through his lovely Celestron 4SE - that's a nice little scope Allan.

The image was taken from a 2000 frame capture with my Mono Toucam Pro II fitted with an IR/UV cut filter. The seeing was so awful that, in the end, I had to manually select 69 frames for stacking. Processing was carried out in Registax, then Photoshop.

post-13232-133877443767_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We had a hard time trying to spot it at the last astro club meet back in mid April, was VERY low down when I managed to locate it in the finder but I was rewarded with a nice defined gibbous pahse, a bit like Venus but smaller and dimmer.

Allan's GOTO was spot on! I had a squint thru too (thanks Allan), my first time of seeing Mercury.

Great picture Michael. Hard work was worth it. How did you get the frame round it?

Archived