Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1000D - Remote - Mirror lockup

Before attaching my new(ish) camera to the telescope to give it a whirl, I thought I would give it a dry run. The only (possible) problem I had was with the mirror lockup function.

OK, it did not like having that already set (gave me a warning and stopped me doing anything) so switched it off and re-read the manual.

Went into the remote menu settings and added 'Mirror lockup', but the 'Apply' button (which the instructions said I should now press) was still greyed out:icon_scratch:. When I tried adding different options instead, the 'Apply' button became active.

2 questions:

Is this normal? and/or Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

I've also noticed strange restrictions with the mirror lock-up function on the 1000d (and 350d)

Ironically, the hacked firmware for the 300d was the best! You could set mirror lock up and also set the delay before the photo was then taken.

With the 350d, you could not set a delay and had to press the shutter once for lock-up and then again to take the photo, which meant that you could not use the little hand held remote timer with mirror lock-up as it only did one shutter press.

Moving on to the 1000d, which I operate via USB, as you say Canon have very kindly introduced a restriction where-by you can't (AFAIK) operate it using the EOS-utils timer with mirror lock up enabled, only with the manual shutter release, which it needs 2 presses of. I thought I could get around it by setting the 2 second timer, as this locks up the mirror for 2 secs then takes the shot, but alas, they've prevented the use of the timer function when using EOS-utils. I can only imagine that these restrictions are to try and make you buy a more expensive camera (if they can do it) or another brand!

I have never bothered with Mirror lockup when the cameras are on the scopes... admittedly my setups on a fixed pier...

If you taking DSO exposures of a few mins then a fraction of a seconds "vibration" is unlikely to have much effect...

Yoddhas APT will allow you to use mirror lockup...and a lot more...

Peter...

Peter...

Use the self timer mode if you use virtual mode for the mirror lockup it uses liveview to do it and that heats up the sensor causing glow...

I'm a big fan of APT i use it to run multiple cameras form the same computer and its amazing value for money for the registered version and Ivo is actively developing it at the moment

Peter...

Yoddhas APT will allow you to use mirror lockup...and a lot more...

Thanks for this, Peter. The only problem with that is I don't have (and vehemently refuse to set up) a paypal account. Think I will see what I get with the Utils prog ... could be that mirror-camera-shake will be the least of my problems:D.

Good to know that it is not just me being stupid ... it is actually what Canon designed it to do ...

Archived