Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help needed with web cam imaging...

Hi all,

Im new to imaging so have gone out and got a web cam just to dip my toes in the imaging waters and after reading the forum have brought a philips toucam. next on my shopping list was a lap top which i have just brought but iam finding it very hard getting the camera to work.

The laptop uses windows 7 and i have noticed alot of websites with compatability probs with windows 7 and the webcam, does anyone know how to fix this or can anyone reomend a web cam that will work.

Thanks in advance

Paul ;)

Unfortunately you have purchased the wrong Philips Toucam. The PCVC820K Toucam is not suitable for astrophotography as it is not sensitive enough. The model you need is the 740K Toucam Pro, 840K Toucam Pro II or SPC900NC Toucam Pro III. The 820K is also incompatable with Windows 7 as it is too old for the system to support. If you can get a SPC900NC win 7 will load the drivers for that automatically or the 740K / 840K can be upgraded to SPC900NC spec by flashing the firmware so that Windows 7 sees it as a SPC900NC.

This link gives a list of webcams and their suitablity for astrophotography. This link gives details of how to flash the firmware of a 740K / 840K Toucam Pro to upgrade to SPC900NC spec.

Peter

If you had purchased a Toucam Pro (740K or 840K) the firmware in the webcam can be updated (flashed) so that Windows 7 would recognize the webcam as a SPC900NC. Neither the 740K or 840K are supported by the latest version of windows but can be made to appear as the newer Toucam Pro III by upgrading the firmware inside the webcam, windows will then load the appropriate drivers for the webcam. The catch is that you need a computer running XP to do the firmware flashing. The flashing takes a few seconds and is reversible.

The 820K Toucam cannot be modified in the same way as it uses different drivers, the CMOS sensor in the 820K is smaller (352 x 288) and much less sensitive (10 lux) than the CCD sensor in the 740K, 840K and SPC900NC Toucam Pro. (640 x 480 /< 1 lux)

Peter

Thanks guys for all your help.

i have been rummaging through draws and asking around my mate and someone has gave me this....

973852.jpg

but isnt sure what model it is only its a Toucam as well. could this be the better 840 model??? if it is they are willing to swap because they hardly use it.

Thanks again.

;)

Looks like my Toucam pro ( but the body on mine is silver??)

There should be a small label on the rear of the unit which will confirm the model.

If it's a Toucam pro you are in business and the comments above re flashing the firmware and drivers would apply.

Ken

It seems to be 'the one', i think im gonna have a look for that model too if the one above turns out a good as mine!

THANKS!! I was all set for my first try (only on the moon) new laptop camera telescope set up.... why didnt i try out the camera first! lol school boy errors!

;)

The photograph shows a Toucam (820K)or possibly a Toucam Fun (830K). The toucam Pro II has a similar body but is all silver. The Toucam / Toucam Fun has a smaller less sensitive CMOS sensor, not the larger more sensitive CCD sensor of the Toucam Pro, Toucam Pro II or Toucam Pro III.

Peter

Archived