Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

"Extreme" Synscan Alt-Az Test

Having faced quite a FEW frustrations with my (now second!) SynScan Alt-Azimuth (plus tripod), I'd always wanted to test the mount head on a more substantial base. In short I made a crude-but-effective MDF adapter to HEQ5 Skywatcher pillar. :)

A few nights ago I finally put a 24mm W70 into my MAK127 (TFoV ~1.2 deg) got the Stellarium software (with the internal driver) working... and experimented. After aligning with Arcturus and Procyon, I then explored pretty much the WHOLE sky: Objects invariably appeared well within the above field. My own circumspection re. the basic functioning of this mount was unfounded. Clearly with a decent pillar (tripod) the thing really is (as generally supposed!) pretty accurate - Better ~0.25 deg?

Whatever the merits of "GoTo" - With a scope-side table, head torch etc., I rather LIKED this stress-free ability to click on a random part of sky and let the mount do the rest. For a change I didn't have to worry about kicking the carefully aligned setup! Even with poor seeing, I found a couple of "Messiers", I'd never previously contemplated looking for... ;)

I think I will ask my "tame CNC machinist" to improve on my MDF (EQ5 head adaptor) handiwork - Basically a 60mm, 5mm thick disk with an M10 nut hammered hard into the centre! :(

Nice one Chris ;)

I've often thought that there are some decent mount heads out there that are let down by the tripod that they are sold with - the Skywatcher EQ3-2 is another example. I put one on a steel pipe tripod from an EQ5 and it was like a different mount altogether from the one on the wobbly stock aluminium tripod.

Hi John - Thanks. Yes, I have given my EQ3-2 mount "new life" with motors too. In theory, everything now fits everything else and the PILLAR mount lives outside. For me, simple addition of a few "creature comforts" (desktop, stool, LED lighting) transforms the observing experience. Any resemblance to a PUB BAR is purely coincidental! ;)

Observe3.jpg

Sorry Nadeem... No, both suppliers merely sent the mount and tripod in a cardboard box. I sense it may even be dispatched directly by Optical Vision Ltd. FWIW, I did buy myself a "Gitzo" tripod bag for various purposes and at significant expense. Frankly it is/was hardly ever used in the field... ;)

Archived