Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WO66SD Focuser

Hi all,

I had a major disaster last night whilst setting up my kit after my kelling trip, like a complete idiot (kept that clean for you) :) I managed to tread on the usb lead that goes to my Atik 314L the result being a very bent plug on the end of the lead but as you might have guessed by the title of this thread, it doesn't stop there, I also managed to impart some unwanted pressure on the focuser draw tube and something inside broke.

The draw tube no longer moves in or out, so my question is this, should I buy a new WO focuser or should I upgrade to something better

I just hope I haven't damage the camera too ;)

Sorry to hear this Roy but then accidents do happen. Take your focuser apart, I bet the drawtube has just been pulled to one side and came of the runners, mine run on little bearings and you can dislodge them.

Thanks for the support lads,

Mick I think I may have broken one of the bearings because I found what looks like a part of the carrier and a tiny ball bearing ......... oh dear ;)

Thanks for the support lads,

Mick I think I may have broken one of the bearings because I found what looks like a part of the carrier and a tiny ball bearing ......... oh dear ;)

Hi Roy

You have my sympathy as I had a similar problem when my WO66 jumped out of the tripod I was using. I managed to cushion the fall with my foot (worth the pain as the optics survived) but the draw tube stopped moving properly.

I found the scope quite easy to take apart and it also easy to work the mechanism out. My problem was a dislodged bearing which I was able to reposition and then reassemble the scope. All is now fine.

This advice doesn't come with a guarantee but if you do have a go, you are welcome to PM me if you have any questions.

Best of luck

Danny

Cheers Danny, I'm pretty sure I've broken a bearing, not sure were I'd get a bearing that small though.

If I need any help I'll take you up on your offer mate, it's much appreciated.

Hi Roy

I think Kevin's suggestion of calling Ian K is a good one or even try WO direct.

You might be able to find a replacement bearing from the model shops (like the RC cars and helicopters). I would think WO use a standard commodity part and not a custom bearing so you might be able to find it.

Post the internal and external dimensions of the bearing and I'll look in my scrap box. I keep all sorts of junk and I might be able to extract one from an old DC motor or something.

Don't try and use it without a replacement, it will not travel properly. But while you have it apart I would recommend locktite on the brass screws. They had loosened considerably on mine when I took it apart.

Cheers

Danny

Hi ya chaps,

Once again, thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply to this thread.

Olly, thank you for your kind offer, as it turns out there is a bearing suppliers not far from me and they have ordered a couple of new bearings for me, thought I'd better get at least one spare just in case ;) I should have them by Monday with any luck.

I've got the dimensions of the bearings if anyone needs them at any time.

Cheers

Roy

Hi Danny

They are called Anglia Bearing Co. Ltd and they are situated in Bretton in Peterborough.

You might be able to get the bearings cheaper else where if you have the correct dimensions for the bearing but seeing as I didn't know what they were at the time I just went to the nearest supplier to me and let them measure one.

I've got the dimensions if you need them m8

Archived