Anyone got anything planned for tonight?

Kain

Seems like its going to be a pretty clear night for most of the UK tonight!

Anyone got any viewing planned?

I'm hoping the moon will be about tonight (What times does it rise at the mo?) I want to try a few more moon shots as I came pretty close last time to getting it right.

Kain

Nice, clear, dark skies last night. 6/10 seeing, 7/10 transparency. Not a cloud in sight. Did a couple variables in Sgr and Aqr, but the goal was to try the Canon DC20 DVD recorder in the dark, just to see. It has a "Night time" exposure setting and seems to do ok with the red lights on in the dome, but it turned out to be a wash for dark sky viewing. I could find Capella and Aldeberan and the Hyades, but the Pleiades were not found, even under night setting. The night setting appears to slow the shutter speed to ~0.5 sec, so there is no smooth motion and it makes focusing and target acquisition difficult. I put the Perseus Double Cluster in the EP of the 10" F/5.6 with a 32mm Plossl. With careful aiming in night mode, I could see some of the stars in one of the clusters, but the slow shutter made it hard to hand-hold the image. It was also waaay too noisey to be of any use.

So, sorry folks, but there won't be any videos from Stone Haven, live or otherwise, unless you'd like to see dark, grainy images of nothing with my dry narative in the background. :wink:

Archived