Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar Mosaic 20th April 2010

lukebl

Attempted another mosaic of the moon last night.

Really terrible seeing and the results weren't good but I thought 'I've started so I'll finish'. Managed about 20 avis each of 1500 frames before it clouded over. 200mm f/5 Newt, SPC900 Webcam, 3x Televue Barlow.

Here is the result, showing the North Polar region, Craters Aristoteles (87km) and Euxodus (67km) prominent with the Montes Caucasus coming into sunlight to the south. Just wonder how good it would have looked under good seeing. Also the 'Lunar tracking' mode on my mount seems so inaccurate (I guess due to the vagaries of the moon's orbit), and the moon drifted off during each frame. I know the mount was accurately aligned.

moon_2010_04_20b.jpg

Luke, that's very nicely put together and well done. As for the lunar tracking... not sure about that... My Lunar tracking was spot on last night, no drift that I could see... although the last time I tried a Mosaic in Jan I was getting some drift. I figured I'd not set something up properly on that occasion.

Archived