NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice on new imaging setup please.

ashworthacca

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I use a collection of similar buggy batteries, 20Ah gel cells. Works very well. You will need a suitable triple stage charger to prevent over-charging.

Mine are now well over three years old and still function 100%

Ken

I'm not sure what you mean by suitable triple stage charger?? My battery is on trickle charge permanently as this is advisable according to Powakaddy.

I'm assuming from what you say that the buggy battery charger must be a triple stage one.

They work by increasing the charging current until it reaches 80% capacity then steps down the current until full charge, after that it further reduces the current as a trickle charge indefinately.

Ken

I'm assuming from what you say that the buggy battery charger must be a triple stage one.

They work by increasing the charging current until it reaches 80% capacity then steps down the current until full charge, after that it further reduces the current as a trickle charge indefinately.

Ken

Ah, I understand now....yes it must be triple stage because it does work as you say from what I was told by my Golf Pro.

My advice:

1. ED80

2. Skywatcher Heq5 Pro - must be with Sync, don't buy the old version. Otherwise, you will never to do the autoguiding.

3. T-ring

4. Modified Canon Camera.

5. Reducer 0.8X

6. CLS light pollution filter.

7. Battery

I think that is good enough for starting. (tracking 2~3min without any problem.)

Option for the future:

1. Guiding scope

2. Guiding CCD

3. Laptop Computer

For me, I will say that don't go to autoguiding now. Because that is a lot of technical for connection and control. It will kill you. First to enjoy by simple setup. Mount + scope + reducer + camera. That will be easy to handle, and take a picture for 2~3 minutes without problem. When you are ready, then go the next step - autoguiding.

Of course, if you buy the Sbig SG4 autoguider, that will so easy to do autoguiding just push one button to turn on. However, that is very expensive.

That is my $0.02

Cheer,

funoooo

funooo, that's a great help, many thanks.

I have just received the Orion ED80 which is a lovely looking scope. I'm picking up the HEQ5 GOTO on Tuesday, got a v good deal on this one. Talking to a member about his Modified Canon DSLR and have ordered a leisure battery 85Ah for £54 from eBay....... Just a few more bits and piece and I can get going. Oh, and the book, "making every photon count" arrived yesterday so I'm working my way through that.

Good times ahead I hope.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to be using an unmodded Canon 1000d to start with but will also be adding a SBIG ST7ME in a couple of weeks. I'm looking to get a 0.80 reducer and also a light pollution filter. Which ones should I be looking at, taking into account my DSLR is unmodded.

I was thinking the William Optics 0.80 reducer and Astronomik CLS-CCD EOS Clip Filter. Anyone any comment on whether these are the way to go or are there any better alternatives?

Regards

Archived