Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 130 imaging questions

Hi guys,

my old telescope mount died last night so I think it's time to get a whole new model! I've been looking at the Skywatcher Explorer 130 (the 900mm focal length model).

Couple of questions for those who know of it:

- can I use it for prime focus photography with a web cam? I seem to remember hearing that you can have trouble with Newtonians and photography.

- is it worth getting the motorised version? How much wobble will I likely see if I track objects by hand?

Cheers for any help!

Hey, I can answer the Imaging one, I have used my 130p to do imaging with a Toucam pro 840k SC1 mod and I have always been able to bring it to focus at prime. If you look at my posts in the imaging thread or my album, then you can see some images taken with a 130, but I use the Syncscan Goto and have got the shorter 650mm version so it is a F5 scope, but the 900 should begreat anyway. Focusing issues come when using DSLR connected at prime, a barlow helps with this anyway.

Tracking is very useful to get good shots, as it can drift so easy through FOV that it always need tweaking or you get to grips with drift alignment. Hope this helps and someone with more knowledge should help you more.

Cool thanks for the help! The focussing was my biggest concern, the tracking isn't a show-stopper :D

What's the issue with SLR? Is it related to the sensor being set so far back into the device? Sorry for the idiot questions!

Hey, I think it is more due to the position of the primary mirror, as you cant get enough inwards travel to focus with a DSLR, though I have read that moving the primary mirror up the optical tube is one way to get around the issue, but I am not sure of what that involves mind you as I am new to scopes so have never messed with the mirrors and stuff.

I'm thinking about changing my mind to the 130P - you can still photograph down one of these too, right? I've seen many pics taken with one (acharris77 :D) but I just want to do a check!

Which would you choose the P or the non-P model? I've read acres of forum discussions debating these two telescopes!

The 130p will provide much clearer images both visually and imaging wise. The parabolic mirror means it diffuses a lot of aberration and makes the image alot sharper.

I would go with the 130p and as for a motor, if you can afford it go with the 130pm, a very good scope all round :D

I thought the faster scope needs a parabolic mirror, but the 900mm can get away with spherical, because it's a slower scope?

True, but the Parabolic mirror does eliminate spherical aberrations, producing sharper images than you get with the 130.

It is all down to preference at the end of the day.

Archived