Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What software do you use??

phatlad

Hi all

I was just wanting to know what software do you use for image capture and processing? I currently am using MaxIm DL for capture with my Atik 16hr, PHD for guiding with my Meade DSI II (i have never got guiding to work on MaxIm) and Photoshop for final processing. I am thinking of having a play with artemis capture, as much as i like MaxIm i find it a little fiddly at times and so i want to try other think.

So what do you use/recommend?

Glen

Well, for capture Artemis Capture is a dream of simplicity and conforms with a standard peice of Ian King camera advice; if it plays up, run it in its own software. I can't see how you could ask for more.

I guide, stack, calibrate and, in the case of OSC, debayer, in AstroArt 4.0, which is pretty sound. It has its glitches but don't they all?

If I could face learning a new software it would be Maxim DL, for sure, but I'm lazy.

Next stop is Photoshop.

However, two indispensibles for me are Registar and Neat Image. I like to add high res overlays from a longer focal length (maybe just a luminosity layer) onto key bits of a widefield image. I also like mosaics. For this Registar is a dream and you can share data with other imagers, too, which we do quite often here.

And Neat Image is just a noise reducer but, by heck, does it ever work! I have only just started using it but it is a part of the system now.

If I were you I'd just beaver away learning Maxim, though I would capture in Artemis.

Olly

I was just wanting to know what software do you use for image capture and processing? I currently am using MaxIm DL for capture with my Atik 16hr, PHD for guiding with my Meade DSI II (i have never got guiding to work on MaxIm)

I run a very similar setup at the minute (due to same issues with Maxim on guiding). I've started using Nebulosity for capture, as it interacts with PHD to do offsetting/dithering (though I'm not satisfied with the way it does it), but it's not as fully featured as Maxim.

My plan is to spend more time learning how to make the guiding work with Maxim, and/or change to a ASCOM/POTH setup to let Maxim and PHD both talk to the telescope.

Or I'll write my own capture/guiding software that actually does it the way I want it done -- but I'm trying to avoid slipping down that slope :D

I can't speak for the capture side of things as mine all set up for DSLRs but for processing I use PixInsight, it's brilliant and has many many functions. The whole thing was designed for astronomy. I can't compare it to photoshop as I haven't used photoshop for years.

I use QC Focus for Webcam imaging which I find very effective and easy to use.

PHD Guiding for guiding (I have issues with it, but it's probably just me!)

Registax, Deep Sky Stacker and Photoshop for processing (Brilliant)

Artemis capture for erm, capture. Phd for guiding, DSS for stacking and Photoshop for processing (essential plugins for me are Noels Actions, Noise Ninja and Gradient Xterminator). I do have maxim and I play about with it but I'm happy with what I'm using ATM.

Tony.,.

Archived