NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Not sure what to do

johnrt

I've been imaging with my unmoded 1000d for a few months now. I had the camera booked in with astronomiser since feb for the baader filter replacement.

The delivery of the filters has been pushed back several times, and the latest advice from them is the the filters won't be available at all and to have the filter removal mod done instead.

I'm not keen on this. I'm not sure if I should get a refund £190 from astronimiser, sell the 1000d to my mate for the amount I paid for it £250 and put the money I was going to spend on an astronomic eos clip filter £109 towards a ccd like the atik 314e.

I'm really not up to or interested in performing any mods myself on the dslr.

Grrrr. Halp.

Having the filter removed altogether is not a problem as you can compensate for this with an external filter in the light path. If you are really getting into imaging, especially deep sky objects then the advantages of a cooled CCD camera could tip the balance but these are disproportionately expensive. A cooled CCD does it for me as it helps enormously with noise reduction - something else to not worry about!

I use my 1000D without a filter and it performs fine.

Does it also disable the live view option?

Seems like a minefield of things to think about. I need to use a coma corrector as I'm using a 6" reflector. So if I went down the CCD route there is the spacing of the CCD to badder mpcc to think about too.

Does anyone know how the 55mm of distance is achieved from corrector to chip?

Again if I went down the CCD route I would want to add filters for colour at a later date. I imagine the mpcc would mean using 2" filters & wheel?

Removing the filter has no effect on Live View John.

The Baader conversion filter Part No. FBCF-400D Which also does the 400XTi, 450D, 500D, 1000D/RebelXS

Obtained from Modern Astronomy. Out of stock at this time, but should be available in The early days May.

So, not a long wait really John.

Ron.:D

Does anyone know how the 55mm of distance is achieved from corrector to chip?
I made a custom adapter for mine to resolve this issue - it allows the MPCC to fit inside the focus tube whilst maintaining the 55mm spacing AND allowing focus:-

baader_adapter_photo.jpg

Baader_plus_adapter.jpg

With my 1000D that has no filter I also use a MPCC. Liveview also works which I use to make sure the focus is right. The only thing that doesn't work if you have the filter removed is the autofocus for normal photography.

Archived