Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kielder caravan park.

phattanglo

I am booking a few days at Kielder caravan park on the return leg of my Scottish holiday in July.

I'm not familiar with the area and I wondered if anyone could suggest a good spot for some observing sessions or indeed if the park itself is a dark areas.

Kev.

The park is fairly dark but bear in mind that the campsite lights will be on. Having said that, if you're at the bottom end of either field it shouldn't be a problem.

Take insect repellant, the midges can be a real nuisance, and don't forget to pop up to the observatory which is signposted from the main road into the village.

If you get any good clear nights, the observing can be spectacular.

Kev,

There are many products that claim to keep you midgie free......... I discovered one that seems to do the trick reasonably effectively by Avon called "Skin so Soft". I was led to believe that the locals at Loch Lomond and on Skye use it.

See site http://www.lochnesscottages.co.uk/midges-ticks.htm as it has some useful advise.

Oh, remember there is extra extra daylight if is not raining in Scotland during the summer. There is thread on this forum "What a difference a dark sky makes" started 10th March 2010 currently around page 8 or 9 that you may find interesting.

Have a good holiday.

Cheers

Adrian

Archived