Help getting started

I have to warn you that I really have no experience in this, I am a complete beginner but I've been told this is the place to ask :D

I've had a look through some threads and picked up a few things but I am a little confused still.

I don't have a big budget, perhaps around the £200 mark to get started, and I would like to take a look at planets and the moon, not too interested in deep space yet.

What I would really love is to take some pictures of what I see. I have a samsung WB500 camera which isn't an SLR, is it possible to use this with a scope to capture some half decent images, or is it SLRs only and expensive mounts?

Thank you for any help.

Hello Zapp, Welcome :D

I am also very new to this and have only recently posted here however, i have already had some very good comments and feedback from SGL, everyone is very helpful here!

You are actually in the same situation i was, and looking to spend the same amount. I had this scope recommended to me, very good reviews and brilliant for, moon, planets, and even DSO!

Have a look, very good piece of kit for the money and i think a good introduction to astronomy!

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130P SupaTrak AUTO

The suggest scope is great and haves goto.

But if you're just starting now, get some cheap binoculars, and download this map (scrool down the page a bit:

Skymaps.com - Publication Quality Sky Maps & Star Charts

Make a free star wheel:

SkyandTelescope.com - Family Fun - Make a Star Wheel!

Download Stellarium (free software that simulates your night sky, tells you where things are, let you zoom in, etc):

Stellarium

Then use the map/star wheel to start identifying the biggest constellations in the sky. Try to find the binoculars' objects listed with the map, for the next one or 2 months. This will make you learn the main constellations and how to star hop to find a Deep sky objects (DSOs).

You can also get a scope from the start but it's a bit harder to learn both things at once.

On DSOs Photography, I'm afraid it's about expensive mounts, DSLRs and an extreme amount of time, dedication and knowledge. Wouldn't recommend you to go there as many beginners give up out of frustration when they try to image from the start.

Keep an eye on the for sale section of this forum as a good scope at a good price turns up all the time.

Steer clear of fleabay when it comes to scope buying and only buy from reputable dealers, FLO being just 1 of them. Very helpful and they will make sure you get the right scope for your needs.

Also Visit here http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

If you see a scope and need further advice then members on here with see you right.

Thank you all for your input. I will take some time to read the replies and some reviews of the scope suggested.

In terms of the photography side I'm really only looking to get 40 seconds or so from the lunar surface and my expectations aren't high, I really just want to be able to record what I see.

I was under the impression that some scopes come with brackets which allow you to attach a camera with the tripod screw. if the 130p comes with an appropriate bracket then it looks like a good buy?

First of all it seams I misread your 1st post.

It seams you want to do moon and planetary photography. That can be done with less money and experience. You need a scope, a webcam, such as the Celestron Neximage and a laptop.

You put the camera in, as an EP, record a movie, on the laptop, then use a free software to split the movie into frames, select the good ones and stack them to make a final image. Nearly 100% of the planetary images you can see in the imaging section is captured with this method. It will bust your budget a bit but not too much, maybe 300£ should do it. You can buy the scope 1st, learn to locate stuff then buy the camera sometime after.

Read this primer for some ideas:

http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/40665-primer-planetary-imaging-toucam.html

OK I have had a look around the for sale section and found this for £120 delivered:

SkyWatcher Explorer 130P ota Reflector Telescope

Magnifications (with optics supplied): x26, x52, x65, x130

Highest Practical Power (Potential): x260

Diameter of Primary Mirror: 130mm

Telescope Focal Length: 650mm (f/5)

Eyepieces Supplied (1.25”): 10mm & 25mm

X2 Barlow Lens

Red Dot Finder

on a Celestron NexStar 130 SLT Goto mount

It's not the supatrak auto mount which was suggested but the scope seems to be the same.

Once I am comfortable with that I will look to get a cam like the Celestron Neximage which Proto Star suggested.

Any thoughts before I go ahead? :D

The mount is better. The suptrack only tracks the objects (compensates for the earth's rotation).

The goto tracks and, after a 2 or 3 star alignment, finds things for you and retails at 239£ (Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130P SynScan AZ GOTO). So I guess you're getting a great deal there, provided everything is in good working order.

If that's the scope you really want then I'd say go ahead before someone else snatches it. :D

Hi,

Yeah, grab that second hand one. The goto will help your learn the sky and scope with give you decent views. You might want to consider buying a mid price EP recommended for planetary with the money you save. An Ortho, TMB Planetary and the WO SPL range are about 70 quid. That scope is a 'fast' scope and is a bit unforgiving of budget EPs.

Archived