NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astronomica 6" Refractor - any views?

Well I've decided I definitely want a 6" refractor (at least f8 or longer) having had a butchers through a mate's Meade last week. Looking around I've seen the obvious Skywatcher, Celestron & Meade offerings understanding they're much of a muchness and then came across the Astronomica one on their website, another f8 so I'm guessing it's likely come out of the same factory as one of the others.

Has anyone got any experience of these? Does anyone know anything about them?

Thanks in anticipation

Paul

The Astronomica looks an absolute carbon copy, right down to the last screw, of the Meade AR6/Bresser R152 but better value. Whether it's the same quality i have no idea. It could be that Meade specify a higher tolerance with their products and the non-brand scopes slip through the factory with less checks.....but that's just guessing.

It certainly isn't Synta (Celestron/Bresser/Helios etc etc) because I have one of those.

The one I have is surprizingly good, visually. Someone had one for sale on here a couple of weeks ago. Might be worth checking. I wouldn't expect any huge differences between these scopes myself.

Olly

It certainly isn't Synta (Celestron/Bresser/Helios etc etc) because I have one of those.

The one I have is surprizingly good, visually. Someone had one for sale on here a couple of weeks ago. Might be worth checking. I wouldn't expect any huge differences between these scopes myself.

Olly

I would have snapped that up but I won't have the cash for one until June so I'm having a look around whilst I'm waiting. I must say I was really surprised with the view the Meade gave of Saturn. It was magnified up until it filled, I guess around, 1/2 the fov (sorry can't remember the EP) and it really held it sharpness. I can't say I was bothered by (or even noticed) any false colour so maybe it's just I'm one of those people it doesn't bother or at f8 it becomes minimal?

What Id' really love is a big long classic refractor but then, aside form the cost of the scope, I'd have to reconsider my mount and costs start to spiral - it is only meant to be my 2nd scope after all!

Coincidently I was looking at that scope myself earlier today. As russ says they do look like a carbon copy of the Bressiers. Was also looking at their 2x ED Barlows and am wondering if these are any good - they do seem very cheap?

Both the 5" and 6" Astronomica refractors look identical to their Meade counterparts and in the case of the 5" to the Bresser 127L which I used to own. The 127L was an excellent scope and was only replaced when I got a ridiculously good offer on a 6" Synta F/8. I've found big refractors a lot of fun and the CA does not bother me much either. They do need serious mounts though. The CG5 was fine for the 5" but it's on the limit with the 6" I feel, but OK in still conditions - gusts of wind when viewing at 343x do upset it a bit though !.

Well I thought I'd ask Astronomica and this is Richard's (very prompt) response...

"The 6" achromatic refractors we sell are produced at the same factory as the Meade / bresser ones. The optics are good as they have quality Fraunhoffer doublets. Also the 127mm and 102mm ED triplets are produced by the same factory (and are virtually identical) to the Meade 5000 series refractors."

Is the Meade a fraunhoffer design? If it is then I'd feel more comfortable because I read that the design can cause ghosting on bright objects due to the close proximity of the 2 air spaced elements and I didn't find any problems with the Meade I tried.

Would love to get the opinion of someone who owns one though before spending splashing out.

Archived