Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What adapters do i need?

Hi all, Need pointing in the right direction . Think i need a couple of adapters but not sure what.

I have a C8 sct with a crayford focuser screwed directly onto the visual back and i have just got me an SCT 6.3 focal reducer(Thanks Martin)which i want to use for imaging.

Question is how do i connect the reducer to the crayford and then how do i attach my ccd cam to to reducer.

Can anyone point me to the specific adapters i need. I have looked on the usual websites and i see pages of adapters and i dont realy know what iam looking for.

Many thanks as always.

Daz:icon_salut:

My reducer screws onto the sct in place of the visual back providing a thread onto which a diagonal can be screwed (or a radial guider or a visual back).

From there though I don't know how you'd attach a crayford - surely the sct has a focuser sperate to the visual back?

If the focuser has a 2" female, then the Orion(us) prime focus adaptor is the way to go. In comes in two sections one of which is a 2" nosepiece with a SCT male thread, the reducer can be screwed onto this then placed into the focuser. You can then use the second part which has a SCT female to T thread to mount the necessary spacers ( you need to target 110mm between the reducer and the CCD chip) and the camera.

Some guys have tried to mount the reducer in front of the focuser but find they run out of space to achieve the necessary 110mm spacing.

Ken

The three images show:

-The assembled Orion adaptor and reducer

-The separate components and the reducer

and the last one shows the assembly, with the 2" nose piece at one end and the T thread at the other.

Ken

post-15261-133877438647_thumb.jpg

post-15261-133877438651_thumb.jpg

post-15261-133877438656_thumb.jpg

The three images show:

-The assembled Orion adaptor and reducer

-The separate components and the reducer

and the last one shows the assembly, with the 2" nose piece at one end and the T thread at the other.

FYI I have an apparently identical two-part adapter bearing the Antares brand.

Archived