Looking for a little advice on a telescope to buy

Hi all. I'm new to telescopes, but I've always been a keen fan of documentaries on space, i'm really addicted to 'em and totally amazed by the sky at night. I've waited years to get a telescope and now I finally have a little bit of cash put aside to buy a telescope.

I'm not entirely sure what I'd like to see, but I want to be amazed when I look down that scope...which I'm sure I will be as I'm happy looking up with the naked eye on a clear night.

So far, after reading lots of tips, I've picked 4 Skywatcher telescopes (with tripod mounts) ranging from the lower end of my budget to the higher. I know in most cases, the more expensive option will be better, but I'd like to know if it's good value for what I'm getting or what I can see compared to the cheaper option.

#1 Explorer 150PL | ~£250

#2 Skymax 127 SupaTrak Auto | ~£299

#3 Explorer 200P | ~£370

#4 Skyliner 250PX Dobsonian | ~£389 (update: bought this one!)

I would like to take photographs possibly (I've seen you can get a certain cam for around £100, but i have a DSLR too), and I'd like it to be useful and fun for many years. I may want to take it in the car to places, but I'm strong & fit, but will the dobsonian be a bit large? :)

Other thank that, it's good to be here, I've enjoyed reading a fair amount posts so far.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Observing: 6" aperture is good enough for some Deep Sky Objects (DSOs) and more then enough for planets.

Photography: If it comes with the Eq2-3 mount, with motors you can do some long exposures as well as planetary imaging. You will be limited on the exposure times, don't expect pro photos. You'll need a power pack for the motors. (You should confirm if it's possible to reach focus with the SLR on this scope.)

Observing: Most portable one. If you live under light pollution it may be the best to take with you to a dark location. It's the smallest in aperture but a smaller scope on a dark location may allow to see more then a big scope under light pollution. Most suited for planets. Auto tracks but requires extra cash for a powerpack.

Photography: Only planetary (using webcam). The mount doesn't compensate for field rotation so DSO imaging is not viable, unless you later add a wedge.

Almost the same as #1. Provides the ability to see fainter objects but will be heavier on the mount, so long exposures will be more limited (assuming the mount is the same and haves motors).

Observing: Best one visually as it allows to see fainter objects. Easiest to setup, you can start observing in a matter of minutes (mine takes a minute to be ready). You track manually

Photography: Only planetary (using webcam) and even so not very suited for that.

Hi Donny and welcome to the group :) couple of pointers:

If you want to take pictures then a good auto tracking equatorial mount is going to be a must (dobsinian mounts aren't generally accurate enough for anything meaningfull).

In your budget your should factor in a powerpack, eye pieces, filters, camera adaptors, and other items which can all mount up.

Generally the bigger the aperture the better - but good optics are important too. Motors, mounts and cameras can eat into what you spend on the optics.

A reasonable cheap way into astrophotography is solar system objects with webcams (e.g. Celestron Neximage - around £100).

The type of optics for what you want is also important (cassegrain, newtonian, etc) so do as much research as you can.

Best join a local astro group or go to a star party for a good look at (and through) the different scopes available. Also which dslr do you have?

Best of luck with your choice and hope I've helped :p

If you have limited funds, you should really think about all the extras you will want. I got the Explorer 150P + dual axis driven EQ3-2 with a Cheshire EP and a lunar filter from FLO for about £350 and I reckon I've spent that again on extra EP's, filters, red light torch, folding table, books, storage cases for EP's, etc. It doesn't stop with the scope.

Money well spent though. Truly a hobby for a lifetime.

Rik

Thanks to all (pvas, Brantuk, RikMcrae) you've been very helpful indeed. I now see I will want to buy other bits aswell, not just the scope, but as with any hobby you can spend spend spend as you go along!

To Brantuk: I just have a little Olympus E-410 DSLR.

But the more I think about it, I reckon I'm mostly interesting in observing/exploring, rather than astrophotography to begin with...and I'm really becoming very keen on the Skyliner 250px. The quicker setup and simpler way of using it is very attractive to me. And it's a great big amazing piece of kit too...looks very cool!

The 250's attract a lot of light Donny - you wouldn't go far wrong with the one you seem to favour for observing :)

It should come with one or two ep's abd somtimes a barlow if you're lucky. These will be enough to get you going for a good while till you learn more about the hobby - then you can start checking out the for sale section - there's a lot of very good bargains to be had :p

All the best and enjoy!

Btw - you can sometimes get shots of the sky just by holding a camera up to the eye piece or by mounting it on the ota - they won't be as good as the long exposure shots you see in magazines/web sites though.

I'm probably just repeating what has already been said but you need to consider how portable the scope needs to be and perhaps build in the cost of a webcam. I wouldn't worry too much about astrophotography to start other than with a webcam or basic wild field stuff with camera and tripod. The images that you see posted on these forums generally take a lot of time, effort and know how . I'm not trying to put you off astrophotography but I would get the best scope for you and get the most enjoyment out of it.

Cheers Bish. I've decided the main thing I want to do now is observe and expore, so I've gone ahead and purchased the Skyliner 250px Dobsonian :) ...to arrive tomorrow all being well! Looks like we're set for a superb sunny weekend, so hopefully skies are clear in the evenings too!

Yeah! BIG Dobs are great. Where are you located Donny? Do you have a clear view with a low western horizon? Because Venus and Mercury are putting on a great show this month, just after sunset. Once it goes fairly dark you won't mistake Venus and mercury will pop out about 3 degrees to the right of Venus.

Let us know how you get on with your scope.

Yeah! BIG Dobs are great. Where are you located Donny? Do you have a clear view with a low western horizon? Because Venus and Mercury are putting on a great show this month, just after sunset. Once it goes fairly dark you won't mistake Venus and mercury will pop out about 3 degrees to the right of Venus.

Let us know how you get on with your scope.

I'm in a village a few miles outside Northampton. I spotted Venus last night above the Western horizon around 8:30pm, it was really bright!

Wow very nice, let us know how you get on as soon as you can. I am looking into getting my first scope and I'd be really interested to see.

I'd be really interested to see some photos of it when it arrives if you have the time :)

I am jealous!!

Wow very nice, let us know how you get on as soon as you can. I am looking into getting my first scope and I'd be really interested to see.

I'd be really interested to see some photos of it when it arrives if you have the time :p

I am jealous!!

I will certainly take photos of it as soon as i get it set up so i can show it off to my buddys :)

I started over Easter and purchased the 150PL. Have to say its been brilliant and it looks stunning too.

Oliver

Nice :) What have you managed to see so far? Also in what detail?

150PL and the 200P are also on my list of possibilities... if I can find somewhere to store it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfmad viewpost.gif

I started over Easter and purchased the 150PL. Have to say its been brilliant and it looks stunning too.

Oliver

Nice :) What have you managed to see so far? Also in what detail?

150PL and the 200P are also on my list of possibilities... if I can find somewhere to store it!

The 150PL is a big piece of Kit howerer it can fit neatly into a corner and a big plus is that in my opinion its looks like a good piece of furniture. :p. Have only beeen using it for a few hours and the I'm still getting used to different eyepieces etc.

I am impressed though, I want to look into astrophotography so if anyone has any tips for this with the 150PL that would be great? :)

A couple of things to note. Dont move the 150PL scope any distance when it is attached to the stand. It weighs a fair bit, instead there are two screws at the top that can be loosened quickly and the scope removed.

I was also told that alot of people damage the screw (bend it) when trying to adjust the latitude on the mount because they forget to loosen one side before tightening the other.

Oliver

That was fast!

Congrats, now I'm a bit jealous! :) I made the mistake of getting an 8" (only) now I have to wait a few months before I upgrade.

hehe, yeh i ordered yesterday and got 24 hour delivery.

Pity there's a light cloud cover this evening, hope it clears soon.

Archived