Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Plenty of Galaxies around Coma / Virgo

Transparency wasn't too good last night but I wanted to see M104 (Sombrero Galaxy). Previous attempts have always been thwarted by hedges, rooftops, trees etc. but last night I just managed to catch it between the conifers and the Willow. It is a beautiful sight with the core, halo and long dust-lane clearly visible. I rigged up the video cam to a TV set to get a better view. Quick image included below just to show how it looked on the screen.

Using this technique I set out to look at some of the other galaxies in and around the Virgo cluster. First the giant elliptical M60 and its fainter companion NGC 4649. Both showed up clearly in the same FOV though no structure was discernible.

One of the highlights of the evening was the 'Siamese Twins' (NGC 4567 and NGC 4568). Both are faint at around Mag. +12 but both revealed spiral structure, 4567 being almost face-on and 4568 at about a 45 deg. angle. This pair of galaxies were touching (joined) at the top left of the pair to form a sideways 'V' shape with the upper one horizontal.

Another interesting pair of galaxies were 'The Eyes Galaxies' (NGC 4435 and NGC 4438). Both were rather indistinct elliptical shapes inclined at 45 deg to the horizontal. They did look a bit like 'slitty' eyes but at the orientation I saw them one was directly above the other so the analogy was somewhat lost.

M88 showed its spiral structure but by this time high cloud was setting in and the nearby Markarian's Chain was no more than a few very faint, indistinct smudges. Just also managed to make out the large ellipticals M59 and M87 and a little of M91's barred spiral structure

post-15108-133877437943_thumb.jpg

I am surrounded by houses and street lights so LP is always an issue. That is really why I use the indirect viewing though a video camera onto a TV screen for faint DSOs. I just cannot see a lot of them through the EP.

I'm like you Mike plagued with street lights and light pollution but I can see most of these with my 16" dob but once again they are just fuzzy blobs with no details.

I love your idea with the video camera, but I would imagine to see detail in these galaxies you need tracking as well.

Look forward to your next lot of images.

Archived