NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which one :)

Hey guys, i have already found out that it is worth while saving up for the sw explorer 130p rather than just the 130, but my question to you is, is it really important to have a motor?

what i mean is should i bother saving for the Skywatcher Explorer 130P SupaTrak AUTO rather than just 130p?

Hi Cyro,

A motor is useful for visual observations - you don't have to "twiddle" the knobs to keep an object in view. For photography, whilst I know you can take unguided pics, you really need a seriously good (ie expensive!!) motorised mount.

Don't forget that you can always get an unmotorised system (and get a better scope for your initial outlay!!) and then upgrade to motor drive later.

I've just had a look at the SupaTrak - Its is an altazimuth mount, not an equatorial - you would be far better off with the EQ2 and the 130P to start. You can motorise it for around £90 later.

An equatorial can be tricky to use for a beginner BUT once you get the hang of it (which is not difficult!) it is far easier to use. You only have to move one axis to follow an object once it is centered in the field of view - assuming the mount is correctly aligned.

thanks guys that really helps! i couldnt really afford the auto trak anyway! so will stick with the 130p with eq2 mount :( i will save up for a motor to upgrade it later! also, where can i get cheap moon filter?

Cyro,

Have you ever looked through a 130mm reflector?

For a first reflector telescope, I would recomend at least a 150mm. And preferably with a dobsonian mount.

A dob is so easy to set-up and guide. Once you have one, you'll be hooked. An equatorial mount is good if it's stable. the EQ1 will desapoint you.

My advice is: go for a 6" or 8" dob for general observing. If you are mainly interested on planets, then consider a 90mm f/11 refractor (minimum) on an EQ3 mount.

If you need to save some more money, don't despair. The sky will always be there for you:)

I am also a convert to dobs for newtonian reflectors. I still like my equatorial mount for my refractor though.

With a reasonable field of view it's easy and very intuitive to follow targets by hand and as suggested, you'll get more aperture for your money. Maybe even buy an 8" dob off this forum used - they seem to come up regularly and if you put something in the wanted section you might get lucky. this one's sold but a good example (not sure about the lettering on it though!)

http://stargazerslounge.com/completed/96301-skywatcher-8-dobsonian.html

good luck whatever you decide and sorry if we've given you even more to think about!

Have you ever looked through a 130mm reflector?

130mm isn't a disaster - and you'll find many people with a lot of affection for the Sky-Watcher 130P. Whilst I agree that a 150mm reflector (preferrably F8) is probably the most practical all-round instrument you can get, the portability of 130mm is very attractive.

When I go on holiday this year, it's entirely possible that the SW 130P SupaTrak might be the only scope that we take with us - and I can tell you from past experiences I won't be sitting there wishing I had a bigger or "better" scope. :(

Archived