Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope Hold all

I recently purchased a Celestron 102SLT mainly for when I go away on breaks in my Camper Van to the New Forest. When I got it I also bought a soft bag which was designed for the Tripod but was unable to find one for the Scope. Surprisingly Celestron don't seem to make one for this Telescope although I have seen them advertised in the USA but not in the UK. Any ideas where I could obtain a soft bag , about 30 " long, which perhaps I could convert to carry my scope. I would still use the existing one for the tripod.

Robin

When I go camping, the scope is carried in a rucksack.

Meade do a nice one for thier ETX scopes - with stiffener/padding in all the right places - that might be suitable.

Alternatively, you could take the scope to an outdoor-sports shop and try some regular rucksacks for size.

I carry the tripod without a bag, although I think a bag for a tent or one of those folding chairs would do the job when the original contents are not longer usable. I put the scope in the bag, and have carried as many as two scopes in it. I kept it, and carry my C6N around in it now.

I think the bag was supposed to carry both the tripod and the scope, as it has a soft divider in it, but no human of ordinary strength and intelligence could ever have got both those objects into that bag.

In Canada, we can get hockey bags, made to carry a complete hockey outfit, except the stick. They are large enough to carry a medium sized child and his teddy bear. They aren't particularly expensive, though, so maybe football players use the same sort of thing. I could get both my scopes and my tripod in one.

I keep my OMC 140 in a Black and Decker 26 inch toolbox minus the plastic tray that sits in the top of it. It cost about £20 a couple of years ago and is a good compromise between toughness and weight. It has a carry handle at the top and room for several accessories. The only drawback is that it isn't big enough to take the metal dewshade as well.

B&Q do some nice aluminium cases in a range of sizes and prices. I have 3 with some cut out foam (From an upholstry store) Inside for m eyepieces and odd's n sods!

Good value and very robust. My ETX 70 used to fit in a medium size one...

Archived