Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

G11 or JP-Z ?

Hi everyone,

I need to make my decision sooner between these 2 mounts:

-Losmandy G11 Gemini with the Ovision kit

-Takahashi JP-Z (with GOTO + motors of my own..FS2, Boxdorfer,...)

Price will be approx. the same!

Mount just for astrophotographic/astrometric work not visual.

OTAs: Tak FS102NSV and C9.25 (not at the same time!).

Regards,

paulo

Hi Paulo,

I am in a similar position, struggling to decide between a G11 and a Tak EM200. I don't know of the JP-Z.

I have no doubt that the Tak would be a better mount, more accurate and less variable in quality control. There seems to be an element of luck in buying a G11, some being more accurate than others. Also the G11 is old fashioned with motors and cables added on at the end. However, it is sgnificantly less expensive than the EM200.

I hope you get more replies to this thread. In the past when I asked about G11s owners were very mixed, some happy and some not. Tak owners have always been delighted whenever I have read their posts or talked to them and they all urge me to go for Tak.

Olly

Paulo, if you can get a JP-Z for the same price as a G11 I'm not sure what the difficulty is? It doesn't sound like it should be a tricky decision.

I thought Tak were bringing out the JP-Z as a replacement for the NJP, then they seemed to stop production. Is it available now or are you looking 2nd hand.

I'm an ex G11 user, and a happy one. Never had a problem with my mount that wasn't of my own making. I never heard of the JP-Z and was a bit put off by your mention of using your own motors. Did I get that bit right? Tak are selling a mount without any motors? If the price is similar it's what the Americans call a no-brainer, Tak all the way.

Dennis

Hi Paulo,

This reply is not from direct experiance but from what I've heard / read / seen.....

There are a few holes in your question. So, are the FS2 drives and gearboxes near new ? If they are older and worn then no, don't expect them to work well. Are they the ones that definately fit the JP-Z ? I believe there are two types for the NJP.

Was the G11 conversion done by Ovision and are they the latest design ?

The Ovision conversion seems from all the reports I've read to have got rid of the major problems with the G11. Ie. PE, resonance and the need for adjustment. Far better then the Losmandy worms and blocks. In fact, when you read about the G11 the one thing that crops up so often is that they are " User servicable " and " Easy to work on ". What seems to be said is that you MAY have to work on them like it or not. I have a GM8 and it's dire as a photo mount but one of the best for visual.

Will you fit the RA spacer? This sounds a great idea to get almost all the way round without the Meridian flip !

The JP-Z fits between the EM200 and EM400. I think they've stopped production now. It still seems to be one of the most accurate mounts that are also easily transportable from all I've seen and heard. Are the FS2 drives as accurate ?

One big plus for the Tak is the polar scope. My Losmandy scope points me roughly at the pole but not bang on it. My EM200 can on occasions ( more by good luck than skill ) put me close enough to be able to image without DEC corrections for a while.

I've spent a lot of time talking but saying nothing ! If it were me, and some one said, " These mounts are the best they can be " I'd go for the Tak.

Dave.

Sorry. One more thing.

Being a Tak owner you tend to listen to what people say very intently. You may read a lot about Losmand mounts not working but, dare I print this, Taks do break. When they do they are more expensive to fix and stay broken for longer. Don't read that much eh ? They just don't break as often. :(

Dave.

I should make a decision and I made it! If it were the best one, never will know!

I bought a Brand new G11 "reassembled" by OV with all the goodies including the OV worm and spacer, the new polarscope, Maxon motors with the Gemini, the AC 15V power station and a FHD-MA heavy foldable tripod.

I love Tak products but I should install the motors myself and get the right electronics, the right tripod.... It should be a sturdy mount but maybe (hopefully) in the terrain at night would not perform better than the G11 OV.

Yes they had 3 brand new JP-Z without motors and electronics for 3500 Euro!

You my find the results of my OV kit here (please let me know what that means...): http://www.4shared.com/file/251317168/6be4ab62/NS-14103009-gen-paulo.html

Regards,

paulo

Hi Paulo,

I think it means you have a terrific mount ! Partly why I asked if Ovision built the mount up. Not only do they check the new worms but also then check them in place. Not after a DIY job done by you. Good to know you also got the spacer. Well done.

Have fun for the next decade. Or so.

Dave.

Archived