Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

using a bridge camera for imaging

i have a fujifilm s9600 digital camera its as big and heavy as a dslr but does not have a removable lens. I can make it fully manual but its longest exposure is 30 secs it has a 58mm thread at the front. what is the best way to get some images using this in conjunction with a nexstar 5?

Telescope House and probably other suppliers, do adapter rings that allow you to do Afocal Imaging, by attaching the main adapter to your 58mm Filter thread on the lens of your camera.

The other part has to be attached to whichever eyepiece you use, via three small grub screws, which locate into the groove in the eyepiece, which becomes available when the rubber cup is removed.

The two pieces then fit together, and your camera lens is attached to the eyepiece in the focuser. It is wise to fix a strap to your camera, and then to a safe anchorage on the scope, just in case the assembly slips out at high angles, especially if you forget to tighten the screws that retain the eyepiece in the focuser.

Afocal Imaging can work well on some objects, mainly solar system, although if you can get untrailed subs of selected deep sky objects, then stacking them will produce a very useful result.

Ron.

A word of warning - if you attach your camera to a telescope using the filter thread on the camera lense, you will strain and probably break the camera's mechanisim that moves the lense in and out - it's not designed to take any load. (I too have a fuji bridge camera - the 8000FD - so I know the problem well)

I am a beginner in astronomy and photography in general and was reading in other threads about imaging being difficult with an f10 scope. Is this true for afocal imaging as well or do I have to get a focal reducer. By the way I have forgotten to thank all those who have read or responded to this or previous posts so apologies for my rudeness and thanks to everyone for their time and trouble, your advice and expertise is much appreciated.

I have used 2 different Fuji camera s in this way for several years with no problems.

If your camera is of the type with the lens that moves by hand then you can use the filter threads to safely mount it. I have used my wife's fuji s6500 like this many times.

My own fuji s5500 has a motorised zoom but there is a sold plastic shroud around it which is threaded so I use this to mount the adapter rings.

With this set up you can do a lot of imaging. My own metod for doing this can be found here:

Back Issues | Practical Astronomy Magazine

You have to register to get back issues but it is free!

and the best afocal site I know of is here, which shows just what this simple set up can achieve.

Afocal Astrophotography

Hope this helps!

Archived