Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star Watcher 130N-EQ2

Would anyone have an opinion on this 5" scope? Some have recommended Orion, but it appears Orion UK and Orion USA are different entities. Orion UK has a different product line at much higher prices than Orion USA.

In June I'll be on holiday on Prince Edward Island, Canada, and would like to have an instrument by then. When I was there two years ago, I saw three meteors in an hour, plus a few satellites. The night sky there is incredible.

Regards

Your based in the US and you want a scope that you can take on holiday? Presumably this means the scope has to be easily portable and compact. You should look at the Orion (USA) Starblast telescopes particularly this one

Orion StarBlast 6 Astro Reflector Telescope | Orion Telescopes

It is 750mm long and comes on an alt/az base which is very solid (the last thing you want is a cheap wobbly tripod) this makes it very easy for a beginner to use and the 6 inch mirror will provide good views. If it is too big they do a smaller one with a 4.5 inch mirror but if you can go for the 6 it will show you more. Orion (USA) sell direct from their web site and are well recommended from what I've read on 'cloudy nights' which is a US based forum.

Hope this helps.

Archived