Seasonal Viewing...

Something ive been thinking about recently, as im yet to use my scope due to poor weather, does viewing differ from Summer to Winter?

I understand that different objects are more in sight at different times, i was more concerned about the lighter nights etc in the summer...?

Hope this isnt too stupid a question! lol

Eddy

:)

Depends on your geographical location. If you are based in the UK particularly northern UK or Scotland June and July are going to be problematic if you want to hunt for DSO's, the moon and planets are bright enough to observe but not much else. I also find that Autumn and Spring are when dew seems to be at its worst.

Hey thanks for the reply Chris, i live in the west midlands, Dew to be honest im not worried about as that can be controlled, i cant control the darkness of the night sky! lol

I noticed at the weekend that the dew season had kicked off proper. Everything was drenched.

We're quite lucky here on the South Coast as we get a useable dark sky all year round. Only snag is that it shrinks to an hour or so and you can't start observing until midnight. But some of the best skies i can remember have been in the summer months. Last year being a good example. Went to the IOW for a week early July and the sky at 1am was simply amazing.

Russ

Something ive been thinking about recently, as im yet to use my scope due to poor weather, does viewing differ from Summer to Winter?

I understand that different objects are more in sight at different times, i was more concerned about the lighter nights etc in the summer...?

Hope this isnt too stupid a question! lol

Eddy

:)

Hi Eddy.

I've had the same scope now for about a month and I'm amazed at how good it is. I had a Skywatcher 1145p before this one and though it was good and I wish I still had it (sold it to help finance the 127 mak), this scope gives much better views of the planets due to it's long focal length and excellent optics.

I haven't as yet had a serious problem with dew. It's dewed up about the same time that I've been winding up.

One thing that I've noticed with the GoTo mount is that it is critical to get the tripod level as if it's even slightly off it won't locate things accurately, if at all, even if the handset says you have a successful alignment. Once I got that right it worked a treat every time.

Have fun and hope you get some clear skies soon.

Mark

Archived