Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Project Stealth

TopHouse

I am so pleased with this, I just have to show it off. Can't wait to try it now. I bought protostar flocking with arrived this morning (thanks John) and got a tin of blackboard paint and got to work, I plan on touching up the screws that are showing in the tube at some point and the spider adjusters, I tried shrink tube but it was too tight a fit in the holes, in some of the pics you wouldn't believe there's a secondary fitted, but it's there in all of them. I even gave the outside of the focuser tube a treatment, leaving the point where the rollers hit bare, you can see it on last pic. So here it is, project stealth lol:-

post-18181-133877433885_thumb.jpg

post-18181-133877433893_thumb.jpg

post-18181-133877433899_thumb.jpg

post-18181-133877433907_thumb.jpg

post-18181-133877433913_thumb.jpg

And has it made a difference at the eyepiece? Looking good though.

Mark

No idea, this is still an untested 'black project' lol Having said that, the difference between before and after is AMAZING and i can't see it not making a difference, but i will report back after testing and be sure, if it's total carp I will say so.

It's funny, but, you have your un-blacked scope in your living room (or wherever you keep it) and you're used to seeing it and the spider and mirror looking so prominent. What shocked me most after I'd finished was how much the secondary has now 'blended in'. After assembling, I found myself moving around the scope whilst it was lying on the table and being amazed at how you couldn't see it. bear in mind that all the pics were taken with flash and imagine naked eye viewing! Then again, I could be just a geek!

Fabulous!

How much did the flocking paper cost altogether? (I have an 8" Newt)

I'm still looking at free alternatives, such as black painted cotton, etc...I'll probably pony up and get the flocking paper eventually.....

Message JohnInDerby on here, he imports the protostar paper, for an 8" newt you need 2 sheets. It seems fairly expensive for the proper stuff but that disappears into oblivion when you've finished the job and seen the results, apart from which, 2 sheets of protostar is a lot cheaper than a night out lol

Archived