NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ5 and HEQ5 - Tripod compatibility

John

Hi,

I'm interested in replacing the standard aluminium mount of my EQ5 with a sturdy wooden tripod and I've got my eye on a replacement. The current owner says that he has used it with an HEQ5 mount which fitted on without modifications (it's a proper astro tripod and hub made by Tele-Optic (makers of Giro mounts I think)) but he does not know if an EQ5 will fit straight on.

Can anyone who owns / has owned both mounts comment on the way they fit onto tripod hubs - is it the same design and dimensions on both mounts or are there subtle (or not so subtle) differences ?.

Thanks in advance,

John,

North Somerset

Mind if I butt in with a question? Since you guys all have experience of these tripods, just how good is the EQ-5 anyway? I'm thinking of getting an EQ-5 and putting the RA motor on it for astrophotography work with a small refractor, possibly an ED80 or similar. I'm not sure if it's worth the extra 200 for the HEQ-5 for a relatively small scope, it seems an awful lot of money for what you get.

The HEQ5 is a nice beefy mount, I use it with both of my refractors and i't fine. It'd already driven so you wouldn'yt have the cost of the motors to bump up the EQ5 price..

They say it's the little brother to the EQ6....Bigger, beefier than the HEQ5 and can take a lot more weight..Just depends what you want to do with it and what you're going to mount on it..

The ED80 on an EQ5 would be fine...On a HEQ5 it would be better.

Greg

I cant find any figures on what the HEQ5 is rated for, does anyone know the uppermost limits for it? At first I'd be looking just to strap on a small refractor like an ED80 but of course one day there might be something larger coming on the market. I'm sold on the HEQ-5 instead of the EQ version, but there's none on Astro buy/sell right now either. Bah!

In case anyones interested this is what I'm replacing the eq5 alu tripod with. It's a damm sight more solid, weighs in at 8kg and will add 40cm to the overall height of the mount. It's made by Tele-Optic (German I think) and I'm picking it up on Friday. I'm hoping that this will provide a really solid platform for my ED100 and a respectable one for the 150mm f8 frac. At least I won't have to lie in the mud to look at anything near the zenith !!.

John,

North Somerset

image.jpg

Hi Gordon,

It's "pre-owned" but near mint for £85 - Bray Imaging sell them for around £300 new so I reckon I got a pretty good deal (I paid the asking price and I have to drive 120 miles to pick it up). The guy had a Tablet mount then an HEQ5 on it previously - hence my earlier questions re: eq5 compatibility.

I'm rather chuffed - I did think about making a big hardwood tripod but lack the time and expertise - and hardwood is pretty pricey when you look into it.

John,

North Somerset

Gordon - I love the ST80. It sits on it's AZ-3 mount just waiting for a gap in the clouds - I can be outside using it within about 30 seconds and it needs no cool down time. I have recently acquired a 24mm Panoptic and the 4 degree views are just great. I'm looking forward to the darker autumn and winter nights.

Sorry if you are missing it ... but I promise it's being well cared for !!.

John.

Archived