Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Great conditions in the North West last night

GazOC

I had a 6" f5 refractor out tonight as was having no trouble picking up galaxies that I can have problems seeing at all in my 14" Dob on some nights.

I knocked off all the Leo/ Ursa Major/ Coma Messier galaxies and few of the easier NGCs.

As a bonus the weather is getting noticeably warmer!!!

Certainly noticed the general warm up in my patch Gaz. Pleased too, i've never known such a prolonged spell of really cold temperatures.

Ron.

Yep Ron. It takes a lot to keep me from observing on a clear night but there were a few in January and Febuary where it was just too cold to stand outside for any length of time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why do you find objects hard to find in your 14"? By definition, they will appear brighter and more detailed than your 6". Alternatvely, I may have misunderstood what you meant.

I know what you mean about the temperature slowly rising with the longer days. My coldest was -11degC when at our dark sky site on Salisbury Plain in the snow.

Archived